5. 7 Earthquake in Salt Lake City and surrounding area

Sean Jones

With COVID-19 virus making the news, I don't know if this will or not, so I thought I would mention it here

. We have just experienced a 5.7 earthquake along the whole Wasatch Front.. Our house is about five miles from the epicenter. Everything's OK. Still have power. No cracks in the foundation No one hurt. I'm just calming everyone's rattled nerves right now.

Some after shocks but nothing major. No new major quakes expected.

Unless things change I'll post periodically. I'm going to be busy for a whle

I heard you folks got shaken up this morning. I'm down in Cedar City, so I guess I'm far enough away that we didn't feel it. I'm glad that it didn't cause more damage than it did. Stay safe up there.

Glad things are ok with ya'll. I've never experienced anything more than a few tremors, maybe 3 or so on richter scale.

Glad to hear your OK Sean, I'll tell you, it's not safe anywhere, last week I had a forest fire where I just built my new shop, next to my two year old house. it burned approx. 150 acres and got 100 yrds. from my place... while I was 300 miles away.
luckily two neighbors went in with tractors and refreshed my fire breaks while the forestry dept. cut firebreaks all thru the woods. this all happened at night too.
since I put that house there I've been thru two hurricanes and a forest fire...
Seems like no matter where you go on this planet mother nature has a way to take you out.
I hope your house didn't get any damage .

Glad to hear your OK Sean, I'll tell you, it's not safe anywhere, last week I had a forest fire where I just built my new shop, next to my two year old house. it burned approx. 150 acres and got 100 yrds. from my place... while I was 300 miles away.
luckily two neighbors went in with tractors and refreshed my fire breaks while the forestry dept. cut firebreaks all thru the woods. this all happened at night too.
since I put that house there I've been thru two hurricanes and a forest fire...
Seems like no matter where you go on this planet mother nature has a way to take you out.
I hope your house didn't get any damage .

It appears things are calming down. We did have a large 4.6 aftershock in mid-afternoon but nothing too serious since. House is OK. I haven't inspected the chimney but the foundation looks good so I think the chimney is probably OK.

All in all a very nerve racking day. I lived in California for 28 years and was never this close to the epicenter of a major earthquake. It sounded and felt like a very large locomotive...the cats were totally spooked.

And as you say bladegrinder you can't move away from mother nature's forces.

Sounds like you had some excitement ! We had a good shake up last year that did lots of damage .made a big mess at our place but the house and shop were ok,just lots of broken glass and dishes,threw one of my anvils across the shop,dumped all my drawers and tipped over a welder.Glad you made it out A Ok Sean.

Back