3rd knife- please critique

sanguip

Hi everyone,
New to knife making and this forum. This is a knife I made for my brother. 1/8 " 1084 steel, 3 3/4" blade. Bocote wood handle. Bought a sheath and wet-formed and dyed it.

IMG_0029.jpg

Couple things:
- I know my jimping is crazy deep and un-even. I just had to give up at some point trying to make it even- lol.
- The plunge line is hard to clean up. How do you guys do it and make it look perfect?

Anyway- just looking for any feedback. Negative feedback will help me get better faster so don't hold back! Thanks!

sanguip

It is really hard to tell a whole lot from one picture. But, I can see that you have the fever. Keep building knives and you will keep getting better. Make a dozen or so and then carefully review each one. Make mental notes where you believe you can improve.

A very smart knife maker once told me to "make the next knife better than your last knife". Thank you Art Summers that was great advice.

On plunge lines, my suggestion is buy a Bruce Bump file guide. It helped be out with plunge lines and lots of other uses. You can get one from Bossdog at USAknifemakers. Well worth the investment. It is an awesome tool for those pesky plunge lines.

Keep at it.

DeMo

Increasing the size of the handle as it goes towards the butt helps the user to hold onto the knife. Simplicity done well is glaring in its perfection.

Fred

Back