#3 finally done.

Windom Armory

Before I take any credit I must thank Mr. Von Gruff for the time involved in helping me take this from rough concept to finished design.
Details:
80CRV2
Black and white canvas micarta
Red G10 liner
Black canvas micarta pins.
I can see many defects in this blade and handle work but could not see a way to fix/hide them without ruining all the prior work and the overall concept that I was going for.
Any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism would be greatly appreciated.
15790496724642024593046.jpg1579049702750398642044.jpg1579049746230477530537.jpg15790497990271745115064.jpg1579049702750398642044.jpg1579049746230477530537.jpg15790497990271745115064.jpg

Well done! That is a difficult blade shape to pull off. The tapered tang is a very nice detail. The handle looks comfortable and the fit and finish looks good.

Very nice for a third knife! If you see flaws in your work you already a leg up on some. I can't recommend a half round file enough when you're getting started. They are slow, and let you dial in shaping without the worry of removing to much material.

Very nicely done.
I like your shaping on the handle and the recurve of the blade.

Way better than my third knife I guarantee you that. I really like that you tapered your tang instead of drilling holes to reduce the weight in the handle area. I look for that detail when I pick up a knife. No problem if others drill holes the result is the same I just like the taper. Does it have black pins or no pins?
Also, if you speak to Mr. Gruff again, please tell him we miss his input here and he needs to get back here.

Unfortunately I never had a chance to speak to Von Gruff. All the interactions I had with him were on the design critique page

Ok I have a question now. I made this knife for another person for the cost of materials. Came up with a final price and told them. They gave me cash in an envelope after being told if there are any defects that I would redo the work free of charge. Upon opening the envelope later I see that there is considerably more than the agreed price. Should I return what I feel was a gross over payment or just keep it and be happy they were happy with the knife?

If you think he meant to over pay and it wasn't a mistake, keep it and adjust your price accordingly on the next one.
I disagree with Tim. You quoted a price, that's what you take. Return the overage. You're establishing a mode of operation and, more importantly, a reputation. Next one , quote a higher price. Don't start off on the wrong foot. Only my opinion of course.

I think you should at least ask the person if they intended to give you that much. From there you can let their response guide you.
Yeah you should ask. If it's legit, maybe reinvest it in more materials or a needed tool if you can and keep the momentum going.

I think you should at least ask the person if they intended to give you that much. From there you can let their response guide you.
I sent a text that stated they had over paid with no response. Was planning on getting new belts with overage. Just not sure that the product met the merits of the payment.

I thank all of you for your kind words and responses. I'm new and not sure how I feel about friends trying to support me by over paying.
That can definitely make things awkward. You want to be paid what you are worth, but you don't want to feel like their just being charitable.

Don't undervalue your talents either. That's a very good knife you made and you should charge accordingly.

Back