2x72 grinder question

badge 405

I'm looking at purchasing a 2x72. Working off a 4x36, and 1x30 now so will be a big improvement. My question is, is anybody familiar with the diktatorgrinders, brand grinders. They are usa made right here in my home state so would be convenient. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Diktator is part of the OBM (Origin Blade Maker) brand.

Personally, I'd steer clear, as they've been intentionally copying other maker's grinder designs to sell as their own, without giving any credit to the original designers. In at least one instance, they were specifically asked NOT to use a design by the original maker, and the owner of the company basically told the maker he was stealing from to pound sand, and that he was going to do it anyway.

Now, in all fairness, they've been given the go ahead to produce the "Toobinator" by Dan Comeau from what I understand, but their Bandit DIY grinder is a rip off of Brian House's Revolution design (which he sells a kit for as well, BTW), and their Mini Diktator is an exact copy of Northridge Grinder's Mod-E.

If I were going to spend money on a grinder, I'd rather it go to the people who actually put the work in to design it. YMMV.

Now, regarding the Toobinator grinder, which appears to have been endorsed by the original designer, there's a few aspects of the design that I'm personally not a fan of, and I think there are better options for the money.

Last edited:
That grinder (toobinator) is easy to put together with basic welding skills, I did it with parts (wheels and platen) from another grinder maker. It is literally 50 bucks or less in new steel for frame and two arms. You need a spring for contact wheel, I bought a package of them, have extras and will mail one to you for nothing if you build it. http://dcknives.blogspot.com/p/2-x-72-belt-grinder.html
I am partial to Ameribrade, they are only 30 minutes from me and nice gents, I used their parts.

Last edited:
Frankly.... IMO this is just another outfit trying to exploit, and make a fast buck off the current popularity of knifemaking. Machines like this are no better then buying a cheap 1x42....because they now, nor never will, have any resale value. There's also this to consider..... IF an individual or a company rips off another's design, builds, and sells it, what does that say about the integrity of the individual/company? In other words, what's going to happen if you ever need service, help, or parts??? I'll tell you....once they have your money in their pocket..... you will no longer exist.

Don't buy based on price, buy a grinder based on reputation and longevity of the individual or company that sells it! Then you will have a machine that you can use for 20+ years..... and it will still have as much, or in some cases more value, then when you purchased it.
Example: My first real grinder was a Wilton Square Wheel. I purchased it new, in 1988, for $500. I used that grind up until 2019, when the motor finally burned out. Long story short, I ended up selling the chassis, with a flat platen (no motor), for $900! My point being, that if you buy a "top end" machine, it's a investment. Buy one of the "johnny come lately" machines, and you might as well just burn the money....because the machine has no resale value. See what I mean?

badge, listen to what Ed is telling you, I bought a new Berr King 1 1/2 hp. vary speed in 1994 have used it all these years and have never had a problum with it, made a grinder for the small wheel attachment and have changed bearings in them but that is it, I think it was close to $2000.00 with all attachments but has been a good investment. Deane

A good quality grinder is the only way to go! But Budget is a concern for everyone. I think there are some kits out there that are quality items! Polar Bear Forge Grinder in a Box 2 (GIB2), comes to mind. You have total control of your components and most of the hard work is done. Friend of mine has one and loves it. Another thing to consider is options you want. You may not get any now with budget being a concern but adaptation is a must as you evolve as a maker. No matter what you get make sure all your tooling arms are 1-1/2"! This is an industry standard!

I have been buying from OBM for many years, I remember when they were called "Oregon Blade Maker". I have received excellent service from them over the years. I have also purchased many parts from them to build my own machines and I now have one of their tilt grinders that my wife surprised me with for Christmas this year.

I was hugely excited because I received a 2hp motor and VFD from them and I thought that was my Christmas present this year and then I found a tilt-grinder frame in the mail the other day that my wife surprised me with :) I just finished hooking up the power for it today. I had no idea that some people did not like the company but I have had very good experiences with their service for several years now. I won't know much about how well my new grinder works for a few months but I have spent the last week building a new work-bench to mount it and getting setup to use it. I noticed today that I need to make a couple of modifications to my current tool arms (shims and such) and fine tune the machine a bit, make a couple of new knobs that I will like better then the stock ones, dial in the tracking a bit, adjust my tool arms, build a new tool rest etc...the usual stuff one has to do to set-up a new machine.

It's no KMG but for the money it seems fine for a hobby guy such as myself, 2hp VFD motor, tilt frame and shipping cost me (my wife) about $1500.00. I would certainly recommend building one's own machine or saving up a bit longer for a professional machine such as a KMG grinder (or two) if I was using a 2x72 grinder to make knives for a living.

No offense meant, just saying how my experience with OBM has gone.

Attachments

• IMG_1132 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1132 - Copy.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1133 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1133 - Copy.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1135_1 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1135_1 - Copy.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I've bought wheels from OBM in the past, and even more recently from their "diktator" brand, before I was aware of the design theft. They make a decent product (or products) from what I can tell, and seem to get mostly positive reviews on their products and customer service. It also looks like they have several different grinder chassis and accessories that were or are "in house" designs. That's why I really don't understand why they would feel the need to rip off other makers. I also don't get the ever growing list of company names they've been going by, or why they feel the need to sell 10 different styles of grinders.

At any rate, I'm not saying anybody should toss out their OBM products or take up torches and pitchforks, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to recommend them or purchase from them in the future. If anybody else feels differently, that's ok too.

I also don't get the ever growing list of company names they've been going by
Usually when you see that with any company/entity, its an indicator that they are either trying to shed a poor reputation, doing some "creative bookkeeping", and trying to stay one step ahead of being caught, or possibly both. Not at all saying that is what they are doing..... but based on my experience, if it walks like a duck......

I have been buying from OBM for many years and have received very good customer service *shrug*. I guess I should have kept that information to myself.

I have been buying from OBM for many years and have received very good customer service *shrug*. I guess I should have kept that information to myself.
Meh ... it could be growing pains or other legitimate reasons. I had a buddy that owned a car audio shop and got screwed by his partner...wound up changing the name and structure of his business because of legal issues. Had nothing to do with the biz or him personally .... stuff just happens sometimes

Meh ... it could be growing pains or other legitimate reasons. I had a buddy that owned a car audio shop and got screwed by his partner...wound up changing the name and structure of his business because of legal issues. Had nothing to do with the biz or him personally .... stuff just happens sometimes
I started buying parts from OBM when it was Oregon Blade Maker when it was one guy working out of his house from a single car garage. He was selling home built grinders that were so cheap that they were using skate board wheels for rollers and the grinders were hardly worth using. I watched and ordered parts now and then over the years and have seen what he (they?) have grown their business into over about 6 years. I figure that the name change from Oregon Blade Maker to Origin Blade Maker may have been to drop the more "local" sounding name but hell, that's just a guess, a thought that makes some kind of sense to me.

As somebody who remembers where the guy started and sees where he now is, I find him to be pretty impressive. I have no idea what he has or has not done along the way, it's not my business, all I know is that the company has always provided good prices and excellent service to me. I could e-mail them right now and get a quote or a question personally answered in about 24 hours or less and that has been my experience with OBM every time I interact with them.

I respect the guy's on this forum as well, many are just as impressive too me as the guy from OBM is. I have ordered parts from USAKnifemaker and have always received very good service from them as well.

Last edited:
Back