2x72 36 Grit belts

Gliden07

Just a question why are 2x72 36G belts more than other grits? Is it a supply and demand thing or just an up charge? Just wondering!

McMaster-Carr Page:

Ever seen a diamond abrasive belt?

Hmmm... for a given volume of abrasive, the larger grit size makes fewer belts, assumes that they're all using the same number of coats of abrasive - not thickness.

I think.

An analogy - You can fit a lot more #8 bird shot in a shell than 00 buckshot.

Another big plus is you never have big deep phantom scratches showing up later.

I do keep a couple 36 grit AO for hogging wood or micarta. That's really the only thing they're good for IMO.
I have a 36 grit ceramic belt for my 4" sander. It makes short work of roughing, but it takes ALL of the HP that sander has. It has a 1-1/2HP motor. Really needs more HP to get the most out of it.

I'm thinking about making a big belt grinder with a gas engine on it... just cause. Maybe 12" wide belts or something like that. Maybe a 6.5HP engine, maybe even a small diesel. If I get around to it, I'll definitely post it on the forum.

I am playing with the new VSM Actirox belt. Almost $19, but supposed to have a lot longer life than even the Blaze 50. I use the 36 when grinding really thick steel to hog away the excess quickly and then go to the 50.

I am playing with the new VSM Actirox belt. Almost $19, but supposed to have a lot longer life than even the Blaze 50. I use the 36 when grinding really thick steel to hog away the excess quickly and then go to the 50.

I saw these pricing seems nuts on them! Saw a video on Pops said one of his employees ground 41 blanks with one belt and it still had life left in it? Now I didn't hear him say if it was profiling or full grind?

Yeah, all of the reviews I have seen from them say that they are worth the money. I profiled 6 fillet knives with the belt pre HT and it has tons of life. I have some 7" 5160 and 80CRV2 blades to grind that are already hardened. I did use it on a 3" 3/16" thick 5160 hardened blade and it cut great and quickly.

I have been using VSM belts for years and they will out last the closest competitor at least 2:1.
If you want to hog off steel or get that iron wood handle to a rough shape the 36 grit is terrific.
I have not tried their new Actirox because I still have a good supply of the Ceramic XK880 to use up.

Last edited:
Back