2021 KITH???

I may be in for the KITH! Just did one on BFC, sent out a 210mm nitro V gyuto with red g10 bolster/liner and carbon fiber burl handle and got a sweet AEB-L chefs knife with beautiful handle! Does the maker pic the blade style or do we make one along a theme? The BFC one was a kitchen knife theme.

I may be in for the KITH! Just did one on BFC, sent out a 210mm nitro V gyuto with red g10 bolster/liner and carbon fiber burl handle and got a sweet AEB-L chefs knife with beautiful handle! Does the maker pic the blade style or do we make one along a theme? The BFC one was a kitchen knife theme.
We can do it several different ways. Themed, make what you want, the idea I posted earlier, or if someone else has another idea.
Let’s see if we can get a consensus from those who are wanting to join in on this one and I’ll start a new thread for the KITH.

My vote goes to your idea of the pairing/collaboration. Changes up everything in a good way. Plus, it stretches comfort zones.
I'm good with this, with some reservations. It leaves less room for individual creativity. How about after the initial design the selection of handle materials and embellishment is left up to the individual? Perhaps the same steel though.

I'm good with this, with some reservations. It leaves less room for individual creativity. How about after the initial design the selection of handle materials and embellishment is left up to the individual? Perhaps the same steel though.
I totally agree with this. I guess I should have said that each pair would collaborate on a knife profile so both knives would have the same blade and handle profile. From there, each maker would make it their own. Different grind height, plunge shape from straight to angled, even swooped plunges, square spine or rounded over, thickness behind the edge, and blade finishes, hand sanded or machine finish. And the same with the handle, different contouring, pin placement, bolsters or not, liners, spacers and so on.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this. I no guess I should have said that each pair would collaborate on a knife profile so both knives would have the same blade and handle profile. From there, each maker would make it their own. Different grind height, plunge shape from straight to angled, even swooped plunges, square spine or rounded over, thickness behind the edge, and blade finishes, hand sanded or machine finish. And the same with the handle, different contouring, pin placement, bolsters or not, liners, spacers and so on.
I’d like to recommend that steel choice be the makers as well but I really like the idea of working out a design and both people make it. Let’s get started and thanks Gene for running it.

I’d like to recommend that steel choice be the makers as well but I really like the idea of working out a design and both people make it. Let’s get started and thanks Gene for running it.
Agreed. I think the main thing for my idea is that the profiles be the same. It is hard for a newer maker to compare their work if they make a kitchen paring knife and the knife they receive is a 10" Bowie knife.

I will get an official KITH thread started today or tomorrow with some guidelines. I'll post who is in and any maybes. We will need to set a deadline to enter and a timeline to have the knives finished.

Back