2017 Knifemaker Christmas Gift Exchange (Better late then never)

Paul, I really like Koa, that's some really nice wood.

Ty, Spalted wood is always nice, but what is the block 5th from top? It's got some really nice rays showing. Gonna really make a knife pop!

I thought it was an excellent example of American Black Walnut - OR, is it a different walnut? There are several different walnuts, and they all have some nice wood to them. That really looks good.

BTW, what is the bottom block?

I thought it was an excellent example of American Black Walnut - OR, is it a different walnut? There are several different walnuts, and they all have some nice wood to them. That really looks good.

BTW, what is the bottom block?
Ken you'll have to ask Gene what species of walnut it is. The bottom block is lace wood.

Ken, the second and third from the bottom are both black walnut. The one is sap wood from a crotch and the other is the dark wood from a crotch.

Thanks Gene - I thought the one was Black Walnut (love that wood) - boy that dark block is some really NICE Black Walnut, and is more what I normally think of as Black Walnut. BUT, give credit where due - that white looking block is going to finish up really nice. If you look close, there is some really nice figure in that white looking block.

Hey, this is a fun year for presents - I did good from Ty also.

Ken H>

3815D3CD-8495-4520-970C-476680634CFF.jpeg A big thanks to my Santa, Dennis Morland. Beautiful handle materials, a scribe, sharpies, spacers, and desperately needed clamps. Heck, I even got some real elk antlers. Demo is one of those people who make Knife dogs what it is. He’s always super helpful and more than generous. He is a true friend as are the rest of you. One of the many blessings for which I’m very grateful this Christmas is the group of people on this website. I consider myself a lucky man to have stumbled upon the hobby of knifemaking. I’m even luckier to have found such a kind, generous, and talented group of folks who are always willing to lend their knowledge and time. Here’s to one hell of a group of folks! God bless you all.

I received a present from my secret Santa, aka Peter Martin and I'm thrilled with the wood he sent me. I've been trying to post a picture of it but can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. It asks for a URL and I just have it on a thumb disc. Anyway, if some one can guide me to a guide here I'd really appreciate it.
In the mean time, Peter, thanks for the great gift. I've been wanting to try out the Osage, and now I can. Plus some other very nice blocks and scales.
Thanks again.
Happy New Year.

I got an awesome package from Jeremy Bartlett the other day. I've seen Ipe burl, but either haven't had the funds to buy when it shows up, or was too late and it was all sold. Jeremy gave me a good size block of it, and I can't wait to use it! Thank you sir!

I got an interesting package that I am excited to dig into. opaul was my secret Santa. He did a great job getting the gears turning in my head. I just got back from a family Christmas trip to San Antonio. I got to see the bowie exhibit at the Alamo. Pretty exciting stuff that recharged the old batteries towards knife making.

I received a nice piece of black linen micarta. I have never used it before. I am looking forward to it. I have wanted to try it for some time now. He also sent some nice jigged bone. Again, excited to use it up. He included some nickel silver pins. Again, never used them but have wanted to for some time now. But, the gift I'm most looking forward to using is some John & James harness needles. Again, never used them but am looking forward to giving them a go.

Thank you opaul and Merry Christmas!

I forgot the picture.

Thank you again, opaul.

DSC05363.jpg

I received a present from my secret Santa, aka Peter Martin and I'm thrilled with the wood he sent me. I've been trying to post a picture of it but can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. It asks for a URL and I just have it on a thumb disc. Anyway, if some one can guide me to a guide here I'd really appreciate it.
In the mean time, Peter, thanks for the great gift. I've been wanting to try out the Osage, and now I can. Plus some other very nice blocks and scales.
Thanks again.
Happy New Year.

Jim - I hope this helps you.

https://knifedogs.com/threads/tutorial-how-to-post-pictures.2229/

100_7069.JPG 100_7069.JPG 100_7070.JPG Holy sandpaper Bill Hubbel you had me at sanding paddle :) Wow I am blown away, what surprised
me the most was the letter Bill that was awesome its like you live next door and I know all kinds of stuff about you!
Don't worry I wont tell lol and I really want to dig into the home made micarta that stuff looks like you could drive a tank over it.
man guys all ways like the x-mas exchange thanks Jess for throwing this shingdig!!!!!! And Bill stop by my FB page or
Pm me here and chew the fat anytime my friend.

Back