2 Pieces of Advice.....

Speaking as a new maker. I do want to say that yes you are right but, you have to understand when a new builder gets started they are excited to create things that are above their heads! They want to use all the fancy wood the coolest mosaic pins the hottest steel. Then they get in above their heads and look to guys in the know! I've had plenty of help on here and I will maintain always have gotten good advise from way more experienced builders. I like to think I'm my own worse critic. The thing that drives me nuts is to see someone ask for help/advise and when they get it they ignore it because its not what they wanted to hear.

A part of me likes to see guys get in over their head. It weeds out the ones that cannot tolerate the pain of building. A guy that botches it all and then says..."...but I love doing this!!" will get his head out of the clouds pretty quick and start listening to the "old" guys....

One fella on here had a pretty advanced plan for his first knife (against the advice he had sought) and then just disappeared. I don't know if he started and then got frustrated or what....

I've noticed over the years that metal workers of any type tend to be a stubborn lot...probably because you need to be...lol!

A part of me likes to see guys get in over their head. It weeds out the ones that cannot tolerate the pain of building. A guy that botches it all and then says..."...but I love doing this!!" will get his head out of the clouds pretty quick and start listening to the "old" guys....

One fella on here had a pretty advanced plan for his first knife (against the advice he had sought) and then just disappeared. I don't know if he started and then got frustrated or what....

I've noticed over the years that metal workers of any type tend to be a stubborn lot...probably because you need to be...lol!

Your right Ted, as humans we naturally like things that sparkle and or have a high cool factor. like a lot of things, I think some folks either go to knife shows or watch forged in fire and think to themselves...if they can do it so can I.

I know of a couple of people that dropped thousands on equipment with out ever trying to make a knife, after some failures they lost interest, sold their machines and moved on to something else.
I believe to get into knifemaking you have to be the kind of person with a lot of drive and some experience working with your hands or time with machinery to get an idea of what your really getting yourself into.

I think getting into making knives with the thought that your somehow going to make it to the big times isn't the right mindset to use.
I truly believe it's something primordial that sets most folks on the path to knifemaking, at least with me it was.
I'll end this with...I think some new knifemakers have got to slow down! just about anything someone wants to know can be answered on this forum and others, the best machines and material are available today, but Like John is saying here, I think some folks are overlooking some obvious things... rushing to the end and saying, "it's done" !

Speaking as a new maker. I do want to say that yes you are right but, you have to understand when a new builder gets started they are excited to create things that are above their heads! They want to use all the fancy wood the coolest mosaic pins the hottest steel. Then they get in above their heads and look to guys in the know! I've had plenty of help on here and I will maintain always have gotten good advise from way more experienced builders. I like to think I'm my own worse critic. The thing that drives me nuts is to see someone ask for help/advise and when they get it they ignore it because its not what they wanted to hear.
Being fairly new to knifemaking as well it is frustrating for me to see people get valuable information from experienced people and ignore it. That is a personal problem, not trying to be hard on anyone. I just don't understand why they ask for advise only to ignore it and turn around and say what went wrong. It's not easy or fast to make knives. Just slow down.....

Your right Ted, as humans we naturally like things that sparkle and or have a high cool factor. like a lot of things, I think some folks either go to knife shows or watch forged in fire and think to themselves...if they can do it so can I.

I know of a couple of people that dropped thousands on equipment with out ever trying to make a knife, after some failures they lost interest, sold their machines and moved on to something else.
I believe to get into knifemaking you have to be the kind of person with a lot of drive and some experience working with your hands or time with machinery to get an idea of what your really getting yourself into.

I think getting into making knives with the thought that your somehow going to make it to the big times isn't the right mindset to use.
I truly believe it's something primordial that sets most folks on the path to knifemaking, at least with me it was.
I'll end this with...I think some new knifemakers have got to slow down! just about anything someone wants to know can be answered on this forum and others, the best machines and material are available today, but Like John is saying here, I think some folks are overlooking some obvious things... rushing to the end and saying, "it's done" !
Ha you can type faster than I can!

Back