2 blades and the end of an era

Cubane

Thought I would post this one up. It is the last knife I had with blades using my old dremel cut style of nail nick. I had a hell of a time finishing this one off. It has been on the work bench since Dec last year. It was the first time I have using bone handles on a knife and the first attempt at peening them I cracked the bone. After a few pointers from Kerry Hampton the second attempt has gone much better. Then once I had it all together I dropped it on the concrete floor and chipped a bit of the bone out on the end of the knife. You can see the cracks in it in the picture. Also the bone has picked up some oil or something from when I was cleaning the knife around the pins.

This was also the first time using a clay coated heat treat with 1075 steel. I probably left the clay a bit close to the edge but the hamon came out ok I thought. Also I was getting ahead of myself when I applied the clay and I forgot to stamp my makers mark on it.

Being the last one of my folders done with the dremel cut disk it is the end of an era for me. Also the start of a new one, multi-blade knives. There are a couple more on the bench waiting to be done now. Despite all the problems I had with the handle on this one the one good thing to come out of it was how nicely the action and fit of the blades came together. Using the more fragile handle materials is something that I will learn and improve over time.

Anyway onto the specs:
Blades and springs: 3mm 1075 steel
Bolsters, liners and pins: Stainless
Handle: Plain old bone.
Closed length: 105mm (4 1/4") the largest slipjoint I have made
Blade edge: 75mm (3") so it is legal in the UK.

trapper.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone.
Alistair Phillips

Alistair, that's great. It's nice to see that you've progressed away from the dremel but in this case, I think that style slot works well. The blades look like they won't interfer with the grip when using the other blade.

The issues with the handle are just you pre-aging it. :D

A real beauty , Alistar ! Nail nicks are hard enough & I haven't even considered putting more than 1 blade in each one yet !

Joe

Your knives sure do look nice , Alistar ! I hope I get a chance to bid on your build-off knife when it goes up for auction !! And Thanks for getting back to me so quickly about Bill R .

Alistair, nice looking knife. I like the plain old bone handles. (I've heard those handles refered to as "Montana Ivory") Dan

Back