1x30 or 2x42 for the beginner

Need help from you knife vets, I'm going to purchase a belt sander, but am not sure if one or two inch belts would be better for starting out? In my pea sized brain I feel like 2IN would make it less likely for me to mess up the bevel, but that's not based on experience. Anyone care to weigh in, I'd be greatful.

-Matt

I had a 1x30 and some people do good things with them but I would advise against getting it. My experience with the hf 1x30 is that the platen will need to be epoxied to sit still and there's only so much you can adjust on it to make it operate smoothly. Also any scotch brite belts you buy for it will not fit, abrasives will wear fast, and it is very under powered. You'll only be able to do so much with it before feeling it is inadequate. Between the 2 get the 2x42. If you can afford it get a 2x72. If you have a drill press and some tools build a direct drive 2x72.

What's your budget? What are your fabricating skills and tools? If you want to just buy one , there are all kinds of options, both expensive and lower cost. You can build one pretty cheap and there are even some kits that are priced pretty good. Either way, I'd say try to get a 2x72 if you can.

I'm a beginner with a 1x42 grinder. It works but I wish I had a 2x72. So many more options for belts and places that supply them. Just my 2 cents...

-Aaron

I am a hobbyist knife maker , I have been at this passion for a few years now and I am retired as well . I build 20 to 40 knives a year , I take my time and enjoy the time in the shop and reflect on the meaning of life ( knife making).That being said I would not mess around , get yourself a 2X72 then you won't be second guessing yourself later.

I have to echo the recommendation for a 2 x 72" machine. If you purchase one of the "top end" machines you'll never be sorry. Even if you decide to sell it down the road, you will get nearly your money back out of it. If you go with a 1" machine (either 30 or 42") you're just throwing that money away. You'll out grow the machine very quickly, and will never be able to sell for anything near what you paid for it.....and possibly not at all.

As with most knifemakers, I've been down the road of trying to use an inadequate grinder, thinking that was all I could afford....its nothing by frustration, wasted time, and wasted money. After spending enough money to have purchased a couple of the "top end" machines, I finally purchased a 2 x 72 machine, and wished I'd have just saved my pennies and purchased the "right" tool in the first place.

I have a 1x30, ground 2 blades and i wish I had bought a better machine.
The motor whines from time to time and is not strong enough.
I can't get 1/3rd of what i paid for it.

I'm just a hobbiest knife maker who makes about one knife a month, so take this for what it's worth. For me, I started out with a 4x36 bench-top belt grinder, the kind you buy at Home Depot for woodworking. I didn't have the money at the time to purchase a "big boy" grinder, but I had the driving desire to make knives and couldn't wait. I used the 4x36 for a couple of years while I saved up my pennies, and got fairly good results with it. By the time I could afford to build my own 2x72, I had made more than a dozen knives and understood a lot better what I wanted in a new machine. Just over a year ago I built my own 2x72 grinder from the plans available at USA Knifemaker and have loved it ever since. Do I wish I could have upgraded sooner? Yup! Did I learn a whole lot about building knives with my crumby 4x36 grinder? Sure did! It made the experience of using my new grinder all the sweeter.

For someone who is going to make knives as I do for a hobby that may one day pay for itself, dropping down $2K+ for a top tier grinder and a few accessories to go with it might be a little unreasonable. If money is not a barrier, by all means get the best one available and you won't be sorry. If money is limiting, like it was for me, I suggest you simply ease into the hobby with something economical in the beginning. You may find after building a knife or two that knife making not for you. Or, you may find a new addiction and can begin squirreling away your spare change until you can afford to upgrade. I hope this alternative point of view opens up your options.

I started with a Craftsman 4x36 and still have it. as BrandantR said, if just starting, it is a good machine to learn on. the 4x36 size is used alot in industry for preparing metal samples for testing and by lapidary folks shaping and polishing gemstones, so you can find a wide selection of belts from 24grit to 1200 grit. if you shop, you can find a craftsman 4x36 for less than $150, so for $200(spend your balance on belts) you should be able to get started.
if your get started budget is say $1200, i would look at the Wilmont LB1000. if you have experience with electrical controls and motors, i would buy a bare bones LB1000 or equivalent($700 to $800) then shop ebay for a 3phase motor and inverter/variable speed drive. for a "beginner", a 3/4 or 1 Hp, 1750rpm motor will be adequate, you can always upgrade later.

Again, great info guys!
@BR, well stated and very true of the situation I find myself in. I'll dip my toes in (figuratively and financially) and see where the madness takes me! Thanks for sharing!

i bought a 50*2250 after 7 knives because small grinders suck, I used to use a file instead but now I can hollow grind a 7 inch blade in 4mm d2 in 20 minutes with worn belts, no one really explained how muchof a difference it would make, id get the 2*42 though because you will find a use for it, i use a 50*686 for flattening scales, deburring pins, stuff like that.

basically whatever you do never buy tools with the intention of having to replace them, get something you can use for other stuff once you get a big machine

I have to echo the recommendation for a 2 x 72" machine. If you purchase one of the "top end" machines you'll never be sorry. Even if you decide to sell it down the road, you will get nearly your money back out of it. If you go with a 1" machine (either 30 or 42") you're just throwing that money away. You'll out grow the machine very quickly, and will never be able to sell for anything near what you paid for it.....and possibly not at all.

As with most knifemakers, I've been down the road of trying to use an inadequate grinder, thinking that was all I could afford....its nothing by frustration, wasted time, and wasted money. After spending enough money to have purchased a couple of the "top end" machines, I finally purchased a 2 x 72 machine, and wished I'd have just saved my pennies and purchased the "right" tool in the first place.

This, ^^^ What Ed said,

Only Cry once! My first some 20 years ago real big boy grinder was a www.cootebeltgrinder.com 2 x 72" The belts on a 2 x 72 will actually cost you less per sq inch of belt with the best assortment available. A Coote, two step pullys and really any 1 to 2 HP 1750 rpm motor will get you grinding.

The best would be a 1 1/2 HP TEFC 56C & and a variable drive to power it.

I still have my Coote and currently three other 2 x 72" Grinders. The Coote is mounted on a dolly cart so its mobile now, I put it on the tailgate of my truck and can work anywhere now.

What part of the country do you live? You are welcome to stop by if you like? I show you a few things to helps you decide.

Mornin top, I would suggest biting the bullet and either build or buy a 2x72.
I started with a 4x36 on loan then bought a used 1x42 and am wishing I would have just dropped the few hundred bucks and built a 2x72 since I bog the motor down at least 4x per blade on accident.
The belts are cheap for the lil machines because there is not much there. The basic factor of no replacement for displacement, applies to the belt length as well.
@ 1" wide the amount of the blade to grind in contact with the belt on any blade is 2x as much as with a 2" wide belt. I know is an elementary thought but it is how my brain is working. lol
I currently am attempting an 11" blade and instead of taking few hrs to fully grind it is at 3 hrs and still not past 36 grit.
it was what was in my budget at the time so am making do till after we move.

Last edited:
Back