1st Stick tang questions

Txcwboy

Never made a stick tang blade before. I would like to make something along the lines of a Randall stacked leather handle. Im using .210 steel can I just thread the flat small end that the tang nut would go on as is ? or does it have to be a round ? What oz leather is typically used for the stacks ? If there is a tutorial somewhere that would be great. I havent seen much in my searches.

thanks

Dave

Yes you can thread the square tang but there’s an easier way. The tang nut doesn’t need to be big. A #8 screw size is plenty strong and you’ve got nearly a 1/4 inch. The easiest way is to turn the end of the tang down round to the nominal diameter of that it needs to be to for whatever theead size you prefer. Being round it makes it so much easier to get the die to cut.

Oh, as to the stacked leather handle. I use 6-8 oz leather since that’s what i keep on hand for sheaths.

A stacked handle is a lot easier if you cut the leather into squares and think of it as making a block as the finished product. A hole punch to knock out the center for the tang works better than drilling but drilling is fine if you don’t have a punch. I spread epoxy on a piece, put it on the tang, repeat.

Just wondered of rounding and threading was more work than just cutting it off and welding bolt.

I can round and thread a tang in 10 minutes.......if I'm taking my time....and eat a sandwich. Seriously.

I'd always prefer to have a solid homogeneous threaded tang than a welded or brazed thread, personally. Not that the other way or other maker's methods aren't valid.

I want a aluminum pommel with a tang nut of some type. Typically just a chunk of aluminum drilled and rounded ? I also am not sure how thick the guard is when assembled. Mines excessively think and need to take it down some but not sure when to stop.

Thanks !

My suggestion is to draw the knife on graph paper. That will give you dimensions at a glance. Then build the components to those dimensions.

Having dimension drawings makes this process so much easier and you will stop second guessing yourself.

Make the stick tang a little longer than final dimensions to allow for ease of assembly and compression. You can grind it down during the final fit-up.

I managed to get to rounded and threaded for 10-32. Heat treated and now to temper.

Attachments

• 20181231_141831-768x1024.jpg
    20181231_141831-768x1024.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20181231_141759-600x800.jpg
    20181231_141759-600x800.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 17
I got the tang nut in, do I drill a hole the same size ? Or slightly bigger? The nuts were supposed to be .375 but are actually .3913. I dont have a drill bit that is exact same size.

Back