1st Molded Handle - WIP

PoolQs

Hello everyone,

I was playing around with my paring knife and thought to myself, "why can't I make a molded handle? Kitchen knives don't have to be full tang..."

I was in the foundry business for about 5 years and very familiar with casting, molding,cope, drag, cores, etc. I looked everywhere on the forums and net to see how others, if any, put together molded handles and what they use. I really didn't find much.

I set off to make my own mold but really couldn't figure out how to do a one piece mold or even a cope/drag mold. This is what I could come up with. I know it is VERY novice, which I am, but it seems to have come out better than expected.

I am coming to all of you to get better insight on how others do this or the setup you use or even some direction on where to turn to.

Any help would be gracious !!! Of course, comments and critiques welcomed and asked for.
Troy

photo%203.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo%204.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo%205.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo%206.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo%207.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo%202.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo%201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo%202_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo%203_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for the great comments !! Since this was just a test piece, I used a fiberglass resin with black canvas linen.
Once I figure out how to make a permanent mold, I will be using West System epoxy and linen for mycarta and
also be experimenting with rubber products after more research.

Any help with permanent molds or molding products would be a helpful learning curve.
Thank you for any and all help. Troy

I don't have much input on this, right now. but I have a prototype knife I cut out last night that I think I'll try this on it. Thanks for the idea.

Back