18th c. Type Belt Dagger

LRB

Just finished this one. 8" x 1 1/4" blade of 01 steel with lightly aged finish and a through tang peened over iron butt cap. lugged iron guard and scalloped grip ferrule, curly maple grip with chip carving, finished with Fiebings leather stain and Minwax Antique Oil finish. Sheath is of 6/7oz vege-tan leather, sewn with linen thread. Iron plate with frog/hook are attached with clinched nails, and frog/hook is attached to the plate with a pin and silver braze. Cross hatching on sheath was hand incised. Hope you enjoy a look.

Picture281.jpg

Picture282.jpg

Great piece Wick.

Loving the chip carving and scalloped ferrule.

I'm always a sucker for a dagger too.

Take care buddy, Josh

Oh man, that would look good tucked just above a sporan on top of a kilt! I am going to have to try and do one of these for sure. Time to practise my dagger grinds......

LRB, this is a stand out dagger. You really nailed it for the period of time you're going for. Nice work, somebody is going to be thrilled.

I always wonder who you are, you dont have your name anywhere that I've found. Evidently a veteran maker but flying under the radar?

Bruce,

Wick Ellerbe is one of the first knifemakers I was forunate enough to have met in person. He welcomed me into his shop and home as a total greenhorn and gave a ton of sound advice during a day long shop visit. Even hardened my first couple blades for me and gave me a lesson in using the Evenheat oven before I had ordered mine. Almost forgot about him giving me the basics of wire inlay and engraving too.

He wouldn't brag about it but he's also a walking encyclopedia on anything 18th century and a dang good study of metallurgy also.

I'll bet you two would hit it off right off the bat with knives and flintlock rifles.

Getting back up to visit Wick has been on my to-do list for a good year and half now, LOL. My little ones keep me awful busy though but I need to make time for a visit soon.

Here's a link to his website if you want to check it out-

http://www.wickellerbe.com/cat/

Some dang good folks in this community of ours !

Take care, Josh

Bruce,

Wick Ellerbe is one of the first knifemakers I was forunate enough to have met in person. He welcomed me into his shop and home as a total greenhorn and gave a ton of sound advice during a day long shop visit. Even hardened my first couple blades for me and gave me a lesson in using the Evenheat oven before I had ordered mine. Almost forgot about him giving me the basics of wire inlay and engraving too.

He wouldn't brag about it but he's also a walking encyclopedia on anything 18th century and a dang good study of metallurgy also.

I'll bet you two would hit it off right off the bat with knives and flintlock rifles.

Getting back up to visit Wick has been on my to-do list for a good year and half now, LOL. My little ones keep me awful busy though but I need to make time for a visit soon.

Here's a link to his website if you want to check it out-

http://www.wickellerbe.com/cat/

Some dang good folks in this community of ours !

Take care, Josh

Thanks Josh,
I checked out his website. Man O Man, you're right, I bet we would hit it off. I love his work on the period pieces and the flintlocks are gorgeous. I think he must be a modest artist that doesnt need to ring his own bell. Some eye for detail he has.

Thanks Wick for sharing your God given talents here. We need more of your work, cant get enough. In this hustle bustle world of electronic gizmos its so interesting to see somebody that studies and builds knives and rifles like they did in the 18th century.

LRB, this is a stand out dagger. You really nailed it for the period of time you're going for. Nice work, somebody is going to be thrilled.

I always wonder who you are, you dont have your name anywhere that I've found. Evidently a veteran maker but flying under the radar?

Not really under the radar Bruce, LRB is simply phonetic for Ellerbe. Wick Ellerbe. I have a website. I started using LRB when I started making 18th c. trade scalpers. One of my early ones was a Cross L stamped English blade, so I thought I would add RB to the cross L. and then I got requests from many to sign them all that way, but I still sign some with Ellerbe in a hand written acid etch. Reenactors know me more by the LRB etch. A compliment from you is not merely well recieved, but makes me totally awed. Thankyou very much. Your work has amazed me for many years now. I love those knife guns you make. Amazing work you do. Take care pard.

Back