15N20 use?

JDW

I have some 15N20 steel, and am not sure if it would make a good blade, when used by itself, or how to heat treat it, I know it is used in damascus with other steels, but what about just 15N20 by itself? I am wanting to use it for a super thin slicer for my wife. My question is, will 15N20 make a good blade? And if so, would you heat treat it like other 10xx steels or some other method? Any help on temps and soak times and quenchents would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

15n20 is basically 1075, with 1.5% nickel content. I've created many blades with it. Heat treat as you would plain carbon steel.

Although there will be heart attacks from some folks when they read this, 15N20 is basically L-6. They work and HT the same. Both make great knives.
Stacy

Correction

15n20 composition
C .75%
Mn .70%
Ni 2%
Bal iron

L-6 composition
C .75%
Mn .70%
Si .25%
Cr .80%
Ni 1.50%
Mo .30%
Bal. iron

Furthermore to get martensite in 15n20 you need to cool the steel down below 500f in approx 1-2 sec and for L-6 it is 30 sec, so a fast oil for 15n20 and a medium oil for L-6.

Both steels do make fine knives, judge for yourself if they are basically the same.
Delbert

Last edited by a moderator:
Back