120 Grit Belts

Randy Lucius

Looking for some 120 grit belts. The last order I received from Supergrit the splices were horrible. Working in the plunges the belt would almost jerk the knife out of your hand. Tracking was terrible. Pop's Knife Supply, maybe???

I wish they made a 220 version.

I've often wished for the same....only in a J weight belt. I use a ton of 220 and 400 belts.....so I settled on using Klingspor LS309 in both grits..... soft, flexible belt, but only available in aluminum oxide. Even after all these years, I'm still trying to find a 600 grit belt that works/last worth a darn. Every time something new in 600 comes out, Scott at Tru-Grit sends me a couple of samples to try.......still looking.

You gotta be careful with the coarser grit trizacts. They're what I would call 'spongy'. Meaning its really easy to not get true flats and/it wash out crisp lines.

I love the a45 and a30 belts for final clean up and polishing and blending operations.

You gotta be careful with the coarser grit trizacts. They're what I would call 'spongy'. Meaning its really easy to not get true flats and/it wash out crisp lines.

I love the a45 and a30 belts for final clean up and polishing and blending operations.
Thanks John! I'll stick with the A30s and A45s. I like them alot too. Heading over to Trugrit to place an order based on the recommendations in this thread. Really appreciate the help everybody!! Thanks!!

You should try the Hermes 220 ceramic from Tru-grit. I like them and they seem to last awhile. The only complaint I have is the belt gets gummy when wet, and gives a smudged look to the blade.
View attachment 70425

I used to throw some major hate at Hermes belts, but I gave them another try about a year ago and I have been super happy with them since then. Maybe I got a bad batch a couple years ago- and I'm quite sure I am a much better grinder now than I was then. At any rate, I use the Hermes j-weight belts a lot now and take back all the bad stuff I said about them.

To echo what Ed said, my major gripe is that I can't get j-weight belts to last because I can't find them in ceramic. That's one reason I have a newfound love for the Hermes belts. At less than $3 a belt I can use a fresh one every time and I can cut my hand sanding time down to nil.

Jason, I'll have to try those out!

When I grind with the trizac 120g I grind with a work rest and a push stick. Which allows me to use heavy pressure on the belt. I am sure every belt works different for every person depending on how you grind.

Back