1095 hunter w/hamon raw blade

Frank Hunter

This one is just getting started. I think I'm going to darken the blade further as much as the contrast of the hamon will allow and use mirrored bolsters with some dark handle scales. The blade has a 4 1/2" cutting edge of 3/16" 1095, vinegar patina so far.

IMG_0215.jpgIMG_0216.jpgIMG_0219.jpg

Great looking hamon Frank. Do you use the vinegar to darken the blade more or is there another process? Polished bolsters will really make that hamon pop, can't wait to see more.
Bruce

It's got about 4 hours in the 5% acid white vinegar right now. With some of my tests with this steel I can get it quite a bit darker with more time, just have to see what happens to the hamon as I go along. I may try some other acids with subsequent blades.

Nice blade and Hamon . If you want to keep some contrast on the hamon . Try taking a new lead pencil and cut a small piece of 1500-2000 grit silicon paper and stick it to the eraser , just enough to cover eraser and polish the edge just below Yakiba . It turns hamon white and has a lot of contrast . Same principle the japanese use except , they do it with fingerstones ... Great looking blade you have ......

Looks great, nice lines on the hamon!!

I use ferric for my etching which works a lot quicker but i am gonna have to try white vinegar to see if i can get that defined of a line like you have , it looks great. I have had good luck using some 000 and 0000 rubbing furniture polish i got from Brownells. I would only polish at first on the hardnend edge of the steel until i have a very good contrast, then i would go over the whole blade once or twice with the rubbing compound to knock off any excessive oxides. After that i have had good luck using Flitz, again at first just on the hardened edge using Q tips for about 2-4 uses and then once or twice over the whole blade. It always seemed to me the last 1 or 2 applications of Flitz on the entire blade really made the hamon appear "set" in the blade as opposed to something that seemed to rest on top of the blade, if that makes any sense lol

looks great!!! cant wait to see the final

steve

Back