1084 Wharny in black linen micarta

Remy

1084 Wharny in black linen micarta - SOLD

This is the second of this model.
1/8" 1084 from Aldo Bruno and my own heat treating. This is about 7.5" long overall with just under 3.5" of blade. The scales are black linen micarta 1/8" thick for a slim and light knife. The mark is just etched into the steel but not darkened for a subtle but clear look that's easier to see in person than on camera.
The sheath is setup for IWB or conventional carry, either side, but has the second hole drilled for a small tek-lok, spyderco clip.... standard 1" spacing. The leather loop is really designed for IWB but can be carried conventionally and left turned downward or turned up to drop the sheath down a bit. It is also adjustable for different belt sizes if you want a very precise fit. The sheath has all the edges smoothed over and buffed so it's comfortable IWB and doesn't tear up your skin or clothes. The hold is also snug enough that you could put a chain or cord through the bottom rivet and carry it as a neck knife.

The blade profile is a modified Wharncliffe. I've incorporated a small but distinct curve in the last portion of the edge. While a thin blade and ground to a fairly thin edge, the slight upward curve helps retain sufficient steel at the tip for strength. This minimizes one of the few weaknesses of the Wharncliffe design.

SOLD $130 as configured, $125 if I leave off the loop so you can use your own attachment method. Shipping is generally $8 via USPS w/insurance.

First shot is more recent than the second and third. I cleaned up smudges I missed on the handle and also rebuffed the front portion of the right scale to fix the white of the linen being so prominent.
isroyblk1.JPG

isroyblk2.JPG

isroyblk3.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool design and execution!

It might be interesting to note, many assume all scramaseaxes had straight edges, but I've yet to find one original with a perfectly straight edge... they all have that slight curve, just like your knife does. Maybe the Saxons were thinking the same thing.... :)

Makes sense to me, particularly when you have less reliably metallurgy and expect constant use. Even with modern steels I've damaged a few wharncliffes due to how thin they tend to be up front.

Back