1084 kitchen knife metal aftertaste preventive

Goot

Hey, I've seen a lot of posts about the metal aftertaste left on things like apples after cutting them with a high carbon kitchen knife, and other posts about how a patina eventually diminishes this issue over time.

So, if someone makes a chef's knife out of 1084, and does a stonewash finish after acid etching, they would be effectively preventing that metal aftertaste appearing on their prepared food, correct?

I've looked and looked for a direct answer on this but none of the threads I've found touch on this conclusion.

I have never heard of that issue. I have cut literally hundreds of vegetables, fruit and meats with HC knives (every knife in my kitchen is HC) and I have also never personally experienced any taste difference. Thousands of Professional Chef's around the world prefer HC knives to their stainless counterparts. I am not arguing with you I just have to doubt the information you read on the topic.

If you think it may be a problem there are other steels to choose, I just find it hard to believe. Not that you are hard to believe, just the rumors. You know what I mean.

I was trying to say I do not believe the stories about the metallic taste. Just making sure you did not think I was making it personal against you.

Ok gotcha, no problem. Since it's not just one person making the claim, and the claims are made across multiple forums over several years, it might have some element of truth to it despite you not experiencing it.

Here's my 2 cents - I think that it's possible that there is something there, but also probable that most people don't notice it.

In reading some of the responses from the google search you link, there are folks on either side of the debate who I feel are knowledgeable and would give honest opinions. Let's not forget that we people are all different, and experience this world we live in differently. There is a minority of the population who can't distinct between reds and greens, there's a minority of the population who can't hear what you hear, and there's a minority of the population that are 'supertasters'.
So to answer your original question, Goot:
So, if someone makes a chef's knife out of 1084, and does a stonewash finish after acid etching, they would be effectively preventing that metal aftertaste appearing on their prepared food, correct?
What you probably need to do is find someone who says they notice the aftertaste, and see what their response is with a stonewashed blade.

I am just wondering what could a HC steel blade leave behind on food that alters the taste? Whatever it is, if HC blades leave it behind then why doesn't SS knives do the same.

What you probably need to do is find someone who says they notice the aftertaste, and see what their response is with a stonewashed blade.
That was the purpose of this post -- trying to find someone who may have personal experience with solving the issue.

I can always conduct the experiment myself, but before that, it's best to ask before recreating the wheel.

Well, this has come up before. So ima gonna say what I have observed.

I can cut a fruit or veggie with one of my 80CrV2 blades and smell the metallic-ness before I put it in my mouth, and it tastes just the same. But, I can cut the same thing with 52100, and neither smell nor taste it. And this is my own gospel, that I've tested several times.

'Splain that!

I think it's just my particular brand of sensitivity to the metal/oxides produced.

It's a thing. Some people pick up on it, others don't.

I don't know about stonewashing, but a forced patina is a common trend for carbon kitchen knives as a remedy. Different substances will give you a slightly different patina. Vinegar, mustard, or potato are very common.

Try the stonewashed approach see how well it works. It would be interesting to know.

I'll definitely update you on this once I finish the knife. I also don't know if I'll be able to detect the taste, we shall see. It logically makes sense that the stonewashed patina should prevent the problem but I wanted to make sure.

Back