1075 cracking

spapooji

having a problem with some of Aldos 1075 cracking after forging,forging at 1800 to 1900,normalizing at 1600,quenching in parks 50 at about 1525 with un heated parks 50,leaving steel thick not grinding before quench

If you're sure that your forging temps are close, based on your description I'd expect large grain to be your main issue. Since you're getting cracking you might as well see what that grain looks like. Two or three heats in the 1475F range after your 1600F normalizing heat will make a much finer grain. I don't think one 1600F after forging temps will get it lined out.

If you're sure that your forging temps are close, based on your description I'd expect large grain to be your main issue. Since you're getting cracking you might as well see what that grain looks like. Two or three heats in the 1475F range after your 1600F normalizing heat will make a much finer grain. I don't think one 1600F after forging temps will get it lined out.
thanks never had a problem before

I agree with what Todd says.

Another thought: if Parks 50 keeps giving you problems, try a slightly slower quench oil, such as Parks AAA. 50 may be a little too quick for eutectoid steel.

My 2cents, worth less than a penny in today's market. :)

Last edited:
Back