$1000 budget grinder for part timer

I went the GIB route, saved enough for a VFD. I found a Baldor 1.5HP 3ph motor on Ebay shipped for under $100. I should come in under $1000 range after all hardware.

That includes the steel/hardware for a 90° rotation.

8era4ure.jpg

Is that what you did? I was thinking about getting the LB with no motor and fitting it with one as an option.
yes it is. mine has a 5" drive wheel. assembly took about an hour. i have metal available thru the office so i have an extra tooling arm to work with. if you shop and have patience, you can find a motor/VFD for $200-300. 1hp is more than adequate. Wilmont also offers a belt drive attachment which might be the way to go.

If I got the route of finding my own motor and vfd what am I looking for. Motor needs to be 3 phase, continuous run and completely enclosed and what about vfd what do I need to look for on that?
Thanks for the help everyone

If you go with a 3ph 1.5HP TEFC motor, and the vfd, you can plug into a 110 outlet. Look for a 56C 1725RPM.

VFD will be a KBAC 27D

Since y'all have mentioned Wilmont I'll chime in. I've got the big Wilmont grinder which is awesome but the Little Buddy is nothing to sneeze at either and I've talked to a lot of beginning knifemakers who have invested in a Little Buddy and love it. And Chris Williams who makes the Wilmont is a stand up guy. He's top notch when it comes to setting you up with a grinder.

Regardless of which grinder you go with get the very best you can. You will not regret it.

Mark'd, I have heard good things about the Little Buddy. There are some great options for set ups without the motor and VFD. I looked hard at the KMG too.

Well after looking and researching I think I'm going to save my money and as I get enough buy a bare LB1000 and keep my eye on Craigslist or ebay and buy a motor and vfd. Thanks for everyone s input. The Lil buddy just seems like it would fit me well.

Justin, I've been watching your progress here. I'm a newer maker as well. I'm an hour south of KC in Butler MO. I'm using the Grizzly. It's about the cheapest turn key 2 x 72. It for sure has it's limitations. But if you'd like to check it out, your welcome to come give it a whirl some weekend. I've got a small knife shop going. You've seen a few of my threads I think.

Back