10" contact wheel

KenH

I've been using the platen with my 2X72 grinder (build on photos of the KMG) and have problems with holding a good grind line, and plunges. I've got the bubble jig that really helps, to start the bevel, then free hand for finish. This morning I put a 10" contact wheel on for the first time - WOW!! I've not read how much difference it seems to make on holding a decent grind line.

grind-line.jpg

That is my first effort using a rough piece of metal bar. The other side looks about the same. Am I understanding why the blade seems to track so well with the contact wheel vs flat platen - I think it's because on first pass the wheel has cut a groove in the metal, so next passes tend to hold in that groove.

Folks, I do understand the photo is NOT a "great" grind or plunge, but it's a good bit better than I've done before - especially starting with free hand. The 36 grit has left a really rough grind.

The contact wheel seems to remove metal a good bit faster than the flat platen also.

Comments?

Ken H>

Thanks for the confirmation Frank - that's good to know that hollow grinding will reduce belt expenses. That is the first I'd read/heard of that.

Ken H>

Thanks for the confirmation Frank - that's good to know that hollow grinding will reduce belt expenses. That is the first I'd read/heard of that.

Ken H>

Ken,
That is from the Durometer rating of the rubber contact wheel, Which is 90 I believe on most? Gives a little cushion for the belts.

Generally, I prefer and have much more experence with flat grinds but you can get a thinner edge with a hollow grind so hunting/skinner knives and others can benefit from a wheel grind.

Look back in the older posts here in this same shop talk forum and others and you can read older threads concerning hollow grinding that have a great deal of information.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
I just looked back over some of the older posts and found a bit of info there. One post by Tracy says "follows the groove" on helping grind bevels. I'd missed that post before, and to be honest, hadn't paid much attention to contact wheel grinding since I didn't have one.

I have tended to prefer a flat grind myself, but I didn't really have the knowledge to know which is best. I've used a "hollow" ground blade before and would take the blade to a platen and make a flat grind. Using the hollow grind as a starter, it was then easy for me to have a decent looking grind line when finished.

Ken H>

Back