“Tomb Raider” Dagger by Bruce D. Bump MS

Caleb Royer

maker: Bruce D. Bump MS

From Bruce on Facebook: “I dubbed this one "Tomb Raider"
It has a dual patterned 12.75" blade, take down construction lathe turned cross guard with 24 ct gold balls encased in guard and pommel. The engraving is from Ray Cover and the sheath cover is from Claude Scott. The nicest mammoth ivory core I've seen for a while.”

Date: Mar, 15, 2017
Name: “Tomb Raider” Dagger
Blade: Ladder core, 15N20 & 1084, mosaic outer, pure nickel/4600E
Handle: Mammoth ivory core.
Guard/Pommel: Lathe turned 4140 steel, 24 gold plated ball captured.
Blade length: 14 1/2” from tip to guard.
Overall length: 20 1/2”
Sheath: Fiberglass, deer buckskin, steel throat & tip.
Engraving: Ray Cover
Sheath cover: Claude Scott
Other: Take down, fluted handle w/ gold, silver wire.

170419_Bruce_Bump_008.jpg

170419_Bruce_Bump_008-2.jpg

170419_Bruce_Bump_008-3.jpg

170419_Bruce_Bump_008-4.jpg

Bruce Bump is a knife making cyborg. Part man - part machine.

Just how high is the bar going to be set?? Every time I open one of his threads, the bar gets a little bit higher. Amazing...

DeMo

My son and I spent a good hour on Bruce's website yesterday. It is like Disneyland for knifemakers! A lot of talent and experience on display there...

Bruce Bump is a knife making cyborg. Part man - part machine.

Just how high is the bar going to be set?? Every time I open one of his threads, the bar gets a little bit higher. Amazing...

DeMo

Exactly. If this knife was sitting in a display with the crown jewels of Britain I'd be more in awe of the knife.

Thanks you fellow knife dogs. I was starved for attention as a child so I really dig any I can get.

If I had that knife, I'd walk around in a tuxedo with tails and a monocle. I'd learn to laugh with my mouth closed and begin every sentence with a haughty sniff as I gazed upon the lowly unfortunates in my presence.

Beautiful work Bruce. Not much to dislike in this package. The damascus layout and execution is perfect for the design. The proportions are great, the handle shape/fluting is top-notch, and the fittings are sublime. I have to tell you, though... I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall through the execution of the ball captures. I cannot begin to fathom the order of operations needed to get those built, engraved, and finished without damaging the perfect polish on the balls.

Right up there with the best of the best. :35:

Erin

Beautiful work Bruce. Not much to dislike in this package. The damascus layout and execution is perfect for the design. The proportions are great, the handle shape/fluting is top-notch, and the fittings are sublime. I have to tell you, though... I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall through the execution of the ball captures. I cannot begin to fathom the order of operations needed to get those built, engraved, and finished without damaging the perfect polish on the balls.

Right up there with the best of the best. :35:

Erin

Thank You Erin for the good words on the dagger. The gold plated balls are simply held in place by bending the fingers around them just before sending it all out for engraving. Finding just the right size balls was not easy. The pommel and guard tips are drilled on the lathe and the holes are drilled on the drill press.

We are a bunch of lucky people to even be able to look at this level of artistry.
This knife should be on display at a national museum for all to see. I would say that this is as historically and artistically important as any painting or sculpture.

Thanks for sharing, Bruce.

respectfully submitted,
Steve janik

Last edited:
That is just amazing. That is one of the most beautiful knives I have ever seen. You do wonderful work Bruce!

Outstanding. So incredibly detailed. Superb. I have to say, the photography is at the same level of outstandingness (if that's a word).

Back