Whew! I made 50 of these......so far

Very cool, way better than gluing two pieces together. I had a few knives done that way and don't like them.

Hey Bruce... I received my file guide over the weekend. Seemed like fortunate timing, as I had a handle to fit on a long fighter/harpoony/Bowie thing. I followed your notes on page 1 of this thread, and found that the broach doesn't fit readily into a 1/4" hole. My blade does not have a ricasso, to the tang cross-section is a trapezoid rather than a rectangle (with the spine being just a bit less than 1/4")... so I drilled my 1/4" hole for the broach at the back of the tang. I drilled two 3/16" holes in front of it.

Here's a photo for reference.
9609515174_069559131a.jpg

Anyway, I had trouble fitting the end of the broach into the 1/4" hole. I had to wallow-out the webbing between the 1/4" hole and the first 3/16" hole with a drill bit before I could get the broach inserted at all. If all of these broaches are exactly the same size, you may want to recommend a slightly bigger pilot hole.

Otherwise, this looks like a very well made tool... and I really like your use of the carbide insert.

Erin

Note: I'm willing to admit that I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed... so if you see something wrong in my approach, please let me know. I'm also feeling inclined to double-check the drill bit that I used for the large hole... just to make SURE it's 1/4".

Last edited:
Erin,
The single hole has worked best for me. More holes tend to make the cutter hang up but it still cuts if you pull hard enough.
On the hole size of 1/4" you may need to wallow it out with a drill bit but actually just enough to get the cutter in.
I hope you are having better luck now.

Back