Whew! I made 50 of these......so far

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
One of my own creations in Knifemaking Tools is a handle broach. This handy little carbide tipped scraper will reach into a 1/4" hole and scrape out a nice rectangle slot for hidden tang knife construction. I know this sounds like an advertisement......well it kinda is an advertisement. Boss wanted 50 of these to re-sell after playing with my prototype I sent him. Please contact Midwest Knifefmakers Supply and not me if you can use one.

Here are some cool action shots of what this tool can do:

Simply drill one 1/4" hole as deep as your tang is long or deeper. All the way through if you're putting a butt cap on anyway.

Insert the scraper and pull out. The angle of the carbide is adjusted to be aggressive enough to remove material easy but comfy with the ergonomically designed handle.

It will cut a slot that is narrow or you can turn it sideways for wider slots.

The carbides are actual carbide saw teeth brazed in place. They wont come off and will stay sharp a good long time. They can be touched up on a diamond stone or replaced some day.

The steel is water-cut 304 stainless and not heat treated. I was able to bend by accidentally prying down but it but it bent back straight. With proper use it wont bend.

The handle material is tough basic black G-10 also water cut. I drilled every hole myself because handles can't be drilled with water jet cutters. It boasts 3 swelled brass handle pins for durability and there is a lanyard hole or for hanging the tool on a nail for storage.

This wood is stabilized spalted maple from Jim Clow's hammer-in. Its tough stuff but no match for this broach. I did however pop a small piece out right at the opening of the slot. I suspect a highly burled piece of wood should be left longer than needed and cut to length after the slot is complete due to some damage from scraping in that area.

Enough rambling, Heres the pics:

IMG_3304_zps3f65b83e.jpg

IMG_3326_zps1992b9ab.jpg

IMG_3327_zpsbb56b4fa.jpg

6fac3e82-f1fd-400c-a638-bdd595a7c4a0_zpsf76d5e0a.jpg

IMG_3339_zps24f203e7.jpg

IMG_3340_zpsf347d6a6.jpg

IMG_3341_zpsd0d49e75.jpg

IMG_3342_zps2b3ffa90.jpg

IMG_3345_zps3f274471.jpg

IMG_3346_zpsa4ce21d4.jpg

Last edited:
We will get these listed as soon as they arrive Bruce!

Thanks for building them..
t

Bruce,
I saw these in the backround of some of your shop pics and wondered what the heck they were?
Very cool tool to say the least. :35: I may even start making some partial or thru tang blades so i can buy one and play with it? :3:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Super nice and looks very comfy.

Could you ht the next batch for increased durability?
There's no need to heat treat them. They are very strong. The only way I was able to bend one was to pry on it. It doesn't take allot of effort to use so there's no need to get rough when using it.

These arrived yesterday. I will try and get them listed today.

Bruce,will they work in antler,like axis or sambar? Got one on order but I am curious.

Stan

Bruce,will they work in antler,like axis or sambar? Got one on order but I am curious.

Stan
Hey Stan, Yes it works great on stag too. It actually makes a nice smooth finish with stag. Amber stag is soft inside and it tears that pith out instantly but when it gets to the hard shell it pulls out perfect bits of stag.

Back