Try not to miss me!!

The first lion.
Tuesday found us in the bush tracking a lion for my bud Col. Lee Buland, USMC RET.
We got on a fresh track at 8:30 AM and made our first contact at about 10:00 when we jumped him and good a good enough look to know he was worth following up on.

Twice during the day, the lion decided to backtrack and give us a look. You can see him in the middle of the first pic. What you don't see is the rest of us trying to hide behind the PH and act like we weren't there.
attachment.php

Lee used his bow. 65# Parker with a Rage 2 bladed head. The shot was taken when the big male decided he was tired of trying to lose us and stood his ground. Lee and the PH snuck around his flank while he eyeballed us with a malicious snarl.
The arrow passed through his chest and he piled up in less than 100 yards. No rifle shots were fired. The shot was from about 18 yards and taken at 3;30 PM.
attachment.php

lion.jpg

Attachments

• lion 007.jpg
    lion 007.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 72
  • lion 003.jpg
    lion 003.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 11
Wow 18 yards! No thanks. I bet your buds heart was pounding. Thats amazing you could sneak up on it.Thanks for sharing Steve.

18 yards? No thanks! Well, if I were in the turret of my old Caiman MRAP it would be ok. Your buddy deffinately has some..........

Very exciting narrative! Keep it up! If I may ask, what is the vintage of your .470 NE? I bet a lot of us guys are also fans of classic high-quality rifles...

Wow, Steve, great pics!!! I wouldn't get that close to a lion if you were riding it. Those pics really put you in the "picture". Thanks a lot for posting them.

He was shot at 18 yards and he died after running 100 yards? Good thing he ran the other way!!
Awesome lion and story!

Very exciting narrative! Keep it up! If I may ask, what is the vintage of your .470 NE? I bet a lot of us guys are also fans of classic high-quality rifles...

I actually ended up taking my William Evans 450/.400. It was made in London in the 30's.
I will dig up a pic and post it here.

Thanks for looking.
Steve

That's really neat man. I've never been biug game hunting, especially anywhere outside of the USA. I like the Ferarri too man. That's a classic picture right there :)

great pics steve. always loved shooting bows i own a rac (renegade archery company) getting that close to lion,bear,deer you name it it gets the ticker pumping have a great trip. ill see you in la crosse let me now when.

Franklin,
Our AVO soldier is flying into Chicago on Wed nite October 5th and we leave here on Thursday morning after a quick stop at BASS PRO SHOP to fondle some gear.

Call me before then and we will hook up.
815-693-0235

The Second Lion.

Shortly after we bagged and tagged Lee's lion we cut another huge track near a small water well which drained into a small stock tank.

One of my partners, Charles Wheatley decided to give him a try. We ran back to camp and picked up Pete, a bushman tracker, he quickly sorted out the track and shortly before dark charles was able to get a clear shot with his .375 H&H.
attachment.php

This is a great male with a black rimmed mane which is very rare.
attachment.php

A few more random shots of one of the hunting cars, some white rhinos and the bag from an evenings birdhunt. Some Guinea fowl, crested franklin and a dove.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

lion 009.jpglion 010.jpglion 021.jpglion 018.jpglion 020.jpg

Great pics Steve. That lion is a "Beast" (he's really big too!). I love the huning vehicle. Why don't you pack it up and bring it home for me. :D It would make for a great Christmas present.

I can't believe we can't get these trucks here. They are the ultimate hunting vehicle.
I would think that Texas and some of the big ranch states would be crawling with them.
Someone's missing the boat.

I have no idea what I would do with it, but it sure looks cool. That's a Land Cruiser, isn't it?

Back