sugar creek kiln

well rex i agree conpletly ive been at this for awhile,6years cut that down to 2 years between daughter and wife lol plenty of heat treating in a forge but this is way diffrent. times temps opening door exetra, did first blade today 1095 did some testing and seems better then my older blades, and your advise on a few dry runs helped me took the soft brick cut in half then put grooves in it to make a holder to get blades out of oven faster cuz i was fumbling to get of a flat brick fast enough. that was just a couple of things that helped. iwill post some pics soon so you can see. thanks

Larry, that's AWESOME!!!!!!!!! It makes me so happy that sharing my limited knowledge did make a difference!

I didn't mean that HTing in the kiln vs. the forge would be exactly the same. I was referring to the outcome, yes better results were expected, or there wouldn't be much of a reason to buy a kiln!

Another tip, if I have taken time off, or haven't HT'd anything in a while, I still do the dry runs just to make sure I have the motions smooth and fluid, I get rusty real easy these days!

So glad I could help, even if it was just a little! You just made my day!!!

Now I've got to get busy, this afternoon, I'm going to meet with the guy building my Tire Hammer!!!!!WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited, I may try to talk him out of his personal hammer, I know it won't work, but that won't stop me from trying!
We got a lot done in the shop yesterday, a second work bench finished, I already have a movable bench that my wife built me last year so I may put it in permanent use, for a while, so I can get equipment moved. I also picked up 2 pedestals, well actually they look more like guard rail posts, heavy duty pieces, I'm planning on using 1 for my grinder, the other I'm not sure about, I'm finally starting to see some progress out there, but still so much to do, this afternoon when I get back I'll start running electricity and you won't believe how many plug boxes I've put up! I thought I over did it when I had set the other side up, I still had extension cords running all over the place, I HATE STUFF ON THE FLOOR!!! I've now got a plug box set every 3 feet! on 3 walls! Plus I will be running conduit across the top to have drop down boxes for free standing machines not on the bench. It's gonna be awesome if I ever get it done! Have a great day and lets see some pics!!!! Thanks for letting me know my efforts have helped you,
Thanks Buddy, Rex

Back