Stormy Weather

a little fitment procedure;

DSC_0442.jpg

and thence to the gluing!

3.jpg

Tis cold in Sveden, must heat that epoxy up with lights yo!

the morning after shot;

2-1.jpg

finally glued up.

DSC_0466.jpg

the thin black spacers are separated by thin pewter spacers;

1-1.jpg

Everyone who knows Magnus' work, knows that he has a- ahem- leather fetish

His leatherwork is incredible. It always boggles my mind that so many knife makers farm out their sheath work. I mean, it's great and all seeing good guys like Paul Long do so well in making sheaths for people, but to my mind making a sheath is part of knife making.

Anyway, since the sheath is getting started now, I thought you might like to get a view toward where Magnus is going with this.

This is the first concept drawing. It bugged Magnus that the guard didn't fit into the sheath...

1st-sheath-design.jpg

so he redesigned it. You'll notice in the redesign, that he's chosen to incorporate copper accents.

Sheath-2.jpg

Now, to get started...

DSC_0615.jpg

quite a privilege to commission a work from such a talented maker that is right in line with your design..nice to see..

I've been losing sleep a little over the sheath. The sample pictures Magnus sent fill my dreams...

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0607.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg

Stormy Weather's handle has been oiled, the next and I believe the last step for the handle is for it to be waxed and buffed. Magnus didn't sound convinced that he was entirely happy with the way the patina turned out but I like it fine. It's up to him to change it if he wants, but it's his call.

DSC_0563.jpg

Oil1.jpg

Oil2.jpg

Not long now!

Stormy Weather's handle has been oiled, the next and I believe the last step for the handle is for it to be waxed and buffed. Magnus didn't sound convinced that he was entirely happy with the way the patina turned out but I like it fine. It's up to him to change it if he wants, but it's his call.

DSC_0563.jpg

Oil1.jpg

Oil2.jpg

Not long now!

In the bottom two pictures the handle is actually still slightly wet from the oil, just prior to wiping them off.
The top one is with oxidized copper and waxed handle.

We'll see about the patina, it looks good but it will change slightly with time, so I can decide when the sheath is done.

Thanks everyone for all kind words!

Regards
/Magnus

Absolutely STUNNING craftsmanship! That is truely a heirloom quality piece. Look forward to seeing the final pics with the sheath.

not too shabby, eh!

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0564.jpg

These are all the pictures I have til this point.
I expect that there will be more soon, and I will post them as Magnus sends them to me.

Hope you're enjoying the thread!

I am really enjoying this tread!! Beautiful Knife. The handle, copper guard, and blade all look stunning to me.
Dozier

Magnus sent me the following photo to get my opinion on what the stitching should look like. I agreed with him that brown is the way to go, I don't really want this sheath to be too black, and besides the brown stitching will go well with the copper bits and the browns in the wood.

Trav5.jpg

Back