Starting with the Basics :)

Brinven

OK, Ive got my "shop space" set up, with a few power tools, and some hand tools (4x36 HF belt grinder, drill press, cheap band saw). I've played around with some handles (couple of premade knife blanks, basic kitchen style knives) and I'm wanting to move up to actually making something "for real" :) ...

So my question involves metal. What is the "best" for the first knife? Most of what I read seemed to point to 1084, but I have no way to heat treat it (Im in a "borrowed" space, and the owner isnt keen on fire and stuff :) ) so I'd have to send it out... now, I'm local to Texas Knife Supply, and they heat treat, but they ONLY do Air Quench metals... so that leads me to 440c. So, whats the best option? any thoughts and/or suggestions are much appreciated :)

440C is a fine Stainless and I use it currently and would recommend it or CPM-154. To use for your first shaping of a blade.
Both steels Texas KS can heat treat for you.

I've been using stainless steel for my knives and sending it out for HT Since 1998.

I concur, 440c is cheap but makes a fine knife. It means your not out much if the knife does not turn out like you wanted.

Personally I like to use carbon steel because of the easy HT, but that could be a problem with your workspace.

Here's another advantage to 440C, it's cheap. At least compared to other stainless steels. It boils down to whether you would want to screws up an expensive bar of steel or an inexpensive one and you will screw up your share of steel learning to make knives.

Doug

I went to Texas Knifemakers supply this weekend and picked up some metal, so now I'm officially dangerous :) hope to get some time this week to see what kind of mess I can make :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 4

Great,
Also get a respirator, eye protection and a heavy apron to protect your chest, stomach, the family jewels and the veins & arteries in your legs.

you might also want to look at a small front load kiln(a 110volt one should be $200 to $500). for whatever reason, if it is labeled "front load kiln" or "small glass kiln" instead of "heat treat furnace for knifemaking", it seems to be 25% cheaper.
the old sailor

Brinven, I would suggest setting up a thread detailing what you are doing and what your plan of attack is going to be. I bet you will find the guys on here will chime in with advice that will greatly help you.

Orrrrr.....just use this one. :biggrin: Either way my point is the guys here are really helpful and will help you every step of the way.

Last edited:
I can see you guys can be rough on the marriage ;) lol :) I've spent a few more dollars in the last month or so than I probably should have, my wife is amazing and has been really really supportive... But I don't want to push it :) for now, I'm ok with sending out the blades for heat treat. Texas Knifemakers Supply is close enough I can drop them off Monday, and pick them up Wednesday. Maybe after I move (in the next couple of months) I'll revisit it. I mean I'm really interested in the science behind the heat treat... But it's just not in the cards right now.

Here's a shot of the "shop" as it sits now, basically I have the work desk, the rest of the shop belongs to my cousin, and I need to be careful not to spread out too much, I don't want to abuse his generosity :)
6apuzugy.jpg

And here's my very first drawing of what I plan to be my very first knife...
4y7y7a5u.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!! :)

I tried to post some pictures through Tapatalk, but the whole post vanished... Very annoying.

Anyway :) ...

Here's a shot of my "shop", I have the workspace on the table there, inside my cousin's shop. I'm trying to be mindful of his generosity and not spread out too much ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383683955.615048.jpg

And here is what (I hope) will be my first knife. It's certainly my first sketch ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383684009.781585.jpg

I had a big one made out of a full cow hide years ago. Some have taken two cheapies and sewn them together.
Make sure it goes past your knees.

A word of caution,
I noticed that you have a new Skil drill press. A couple of years ago I purchased one of that model that was suppose to be, "Re-conditioned". It had run out so bad it would not drill a straight hole.

I just don't want you to get stuck with a Lemon. Check it out while you can still take it back.

Thanks again Rhino :) This one is brand new (Amazon Prime, free 2 day shipping!) And I've played with it some already (put handles on a chef knife and a paring knife for my wife). I did have to adjust it a bit, but it does a nice job ... So far anyway :)

Ok, let me tell you how amazing my wife is. She watched me struggle with profiling my first blade, and asked if there was an easier way. I said "sure, a bandsaw"... So for our Anniversary, she got me one :) it's the Harbor Freight one, but I couldn't be happier. Got it up on the workbench, but I've got some ideas on securing it (decided against using the flimsy metal stand it comes with), so it's not ready for use yet...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384793196.478712.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384793206.311545.jpg

I have that model of HF's metal band saw.
Put the legs on it and sit on it facing the blade and feed in what you want to cut. Also get a good Lennox brand Bimetal blade or other USA made one and she will work like a champ.
I've had mine for about 15 years now.

Back