Scale how I hate the so shall I count the ways.

Guindesigns

Hey dogs, I've been working on two knives for my boss for some time now and the last time i worked on them was heat treating them. Now I having a problem i put hem to the side for a while trying to get my shop at my house up and running but I went to my mentors house and starting grinding on them and even with the kmg all the way up and a 80 trizac belt on I could on get the scale to come off the flats. Is there any way to make this easier without going to a lower grit?? and/or any little tricks to help losen the scale from the metal?? thank Dogs.

-Young Pup

p.s. sad thing was we had both knives in foil when we did the heat treat to stop the scale. but it burned up some how???:confused2::confused2: Now im stuck with Scale man I hate scale:mad::sad::sad: why me. lol:31::52:

howdy Pup.

what kind of steel? you said they are heat treated, does that mean tempered too or are they still hard? the oxide can be a bugger to get through on some steels. that is one of the reasons guys using Stainless try and treat them in a foil pouch so you don't get the scale in the first place. It sounds like you didn't have stainless foil if it burned up ??

I have become a fan of the ceramic belts. they seam to eat the scale pretty good for me and you can really lay into them because they only get sharper.

Erik

howdy Pup.

what kind of steel? you said they are heat treated, does that mean tempered too or are they still hard? the oxide can be a bugger to get through on some steels. that is one of the reasons guys using Stainless try and treat them in a foil pouch so you don't get the scale in the first place. It sounds like you didn't have stainless foil if it burned up ??

I have become a fan of the ceramic belts. they seam to eat the scale pretty good for me and you can really lay into them because they only get sharper.

Erik
CPM184 i think i could be getting that wrong but yes they are tempered too. and we bought the stainless steal foil we are thinking however it not think enough.

After a vinegar soak if still there I would use 60 zirc belt. Works all the time for me. Watch the soak in vinegar, check it every 20 minutes or so.

Could that be CPM154? It is a stainless steel? What temperature did you heat treat? Did you use an electric oven or forge for heat treating? If the SS foil burnt up, do you know the type (309 or 321?) of foil it was? Temperature rating of the foil?

Ken

Could that be CPM154? It is a stainless steel? What temperature did you heat treat? Did you use an electric oven or forge for heat treating? If the SS foil burnt up, do you know the type (309 or 321?) of foil it was? Temperature rating of the foil?

Ken
yes is CPM154 i always say 184 for some reason i guess lucky numbers. we only went to 1950 for a hr then i think 1350 for two. if the info seems off it probably is still getting used to my own oven. so i guess that answers the oven for forge question. and no i know nothing of the foil but i shall ask my mentor.

well i had to get them done so i dropped to a 60 grit(what i was trying to aviod) and still two hrs later they looked shiny again and i tried to skip the 160 trizac but i notice once i got to the 100 it looked better if i did go over with the 160 so....yeah but i got them looking good and thanks guys i didnt get to soak them but i will have to check with teh dogs before i go and try it again. alot of the problem i found out was that the flats werent so flat.

Back