Satin finnish

I sure am pleased to hear people are going at this or will. It's sort of like a Xmas present to me with the returned thanks.
Frank

I want to thank Frank for this tip and I think Mobil 1 should send you a case of oil on the house because I am sure theri sales are going to increase. It sure saves time and paper which equals money. Great tip. Wade

I just bought a quart today on my way home. I'll hopefully have time to try it over the weekend...thanks for the tip!

Go with the same sanding blocksor hard rubber or whatever you used before as backing. Your heart will jump to see what can be done with so much ease. Frank

Frank I do admire your passion brother.
I have not tried this yet but have a knife it will be perfect for if it works.
Here is what I have.
I was finishing the bolster on a knife and got into the blade with a 220 belt. It looks pretty crappy right now where I sanded it because of the start marks up by the bolster which are usually hidden under the handle.If I can get rid of these marks the knife will look a lot cleaner.

Does it have to be mobile one?

I have been using Kobalt cutting fluid from Lowe's and it gives a pretty good finish as well. I bet it's similar to the Mobil 1 only more expensive and in an easy-to-dispense bottle. I do like that it is not petroleum based.

I'll give the Mobil 1 a try on my next one and maybe save some bucks. I have been using the oil on the lower grits (220 - 400) and soapy water on the high grits (600 - 2000) and have gotten good results. It seems like the oil cuts better and the water polishes better. It could just be my imagination.

Last edited:
Yes it does if you want to do it without any effort. You can just go back and forth without all that start from the recasso end of the blade and have to carefully pull it through and still see streaks.The Mobil 1 is the one thing that with very little effort works super good. The others still require lots of care and effort.
Curt, for sure whatever works best for you is what to use. It just seems that for me that the Mobil 1 is a no brainer I use it right through to 800 when I go that far, 400 to be ready for Damascus etching.Frank

Of course it's an American made oil for vehicle motors that I buy at a Canadian hardware store. It's not a regular type oil. I have forgotten the name they give that type. Frank

Frank ,

I found some today & got a qt. Do you also use it on your 2x73 belts or just on sandpaper when doing a hand finish ?

Joe

I hope the lapping compound did't cost a lot. It will just ruin your grind lines as well as provide other problems . Frank

here is one I did.
100_0735.jpg

Art, that looks wonderful for a 400 grit finish. I'm actually looking forward to hand sanding to try this out!:eek:

I've had a knife on the bench for 2 months, dreading the sanding because it's always too tough. Hopefully this will cut my time, like it did others.

I remember in the 70's I was a Suzuki Motorcycle tech at that time. There was a new model that came out called the RE-5. It was the first rotory motorcycle engine and had some serious problems with lubrication starvation causing metal transfer if any other oil than Mobil 1 was used. They talked about Mobil 1 having partical suspension properties. I never gave it any thought with knife reatated techniques. Good tip Frank. I'm off to Auto Zone.

Art, that looks wonderful for a 400 grit finish. I'm actually looking forward to hand sanding to try this out!:eek:

I've had a knife on the bench for 2 months, dreading the sanding because it's always too tough. Hopefully this will cut my time, like it did others.

It left a 400grit finish with very few lines a real mat finish, I though that is what you were looking for. I have a block with a 8" radi to fit the hollow grind and after I got that done I did the flats, so to keep the grind lines.
Worked for me, I'v done four so far.

I hope it will work again for me. I have about twenty S30V blades going to the heat treater this week. This is my first time around with this steel but have read that unless you are Bruce Bump it needs to be satin finished. Seriously, I know it will work every time and I'm looking forward to seeing one of my "new" tacticals finish down the road a bit. Frank

great looking knife Art I bought some mobile 1 yesterday and have 2 knives to HT and then try the Mobile 1 out thanks for the info...steve

Back