Satin finnish

Ok, so I went for round 2 on the oil last night.

2 drops on the blade (3.5" folder, D2)
I did the 2 drops a few times, but never more than 2.

This does make sanding easier. I used 12 square inches of paper going from 320 off the grinder, to 400.
Now, I usually only use 32 to 48 square inches but that's still a big difference.

The biggest difference was the swirlies, there weren't any!

Now that I think of it, this is a whole new steel for me too, so I'll have to re-evaluate in a couple weeks when I go back to stainless.

Mr. Fellhoelter.
Some stainless goes getter than others with the Mobil 1. I was pleased with the results I got on 154CM. Frank

I decided to update some of my findings on getting to a satin finish. I am using Modil 1 5-30 weight oil and will continue to do so for cardon steel Damascus and 154CM. I have tried the WD-40 and found that it was not near as aggresive as the Mobile 1 with the use of grits 400 and 600 grits and that Windex was the least effective on these same steels in a hardened state, I also believe the Mobile 1 is more effective when using finer grits as well. The Mobile 1 works for me. I'm only saying perhaps it will work for you. Frank

Another update from me.

This stuff really seems to work.

I just finished 5 blades in CPM154, and it worked Great.

I only go to 400, but it worked really good up to there.

Hardly used any paper at all, and the finish is a tad finer.

Hi,

my name is Christian and I'm a hobby knife maker from Bavaria, Germany. I only want to say thank you! Frank, you are the man!
Yesterday, just past midnight, I found this thread. I rememberd my old BMW with M3 engine. I sold it last summer, but I still had some of the good mobile 1 engine oil left. So i decided, to go to my workroom (only in my underware) and try it out. Thank god, nobody recognized me. The resault was awsome. No fishhooks and a light shine, with only 600 Grit Sandpaper.
Thank you, for sharing your knownledge.

Best regards
Christian

Ive been using Windex and Wd40 , and I work beside Mobil 1 all day and everyday at my shop .. It looks like Ill be taking a qt home tonight .. This stuff has been at my fingertips for years here at work. Ill be trying it out on a damascus blade tonight. Ill keep you updated on my quest . lol.

Christian, having found this and posting may just happen to help many others who did not. Take note of any Brian Fellhoelter postings. He is amazing with what he knows and gives as well as his very recognized abilities in making especially liner locking folding knives as well as knife making equipment ! Frank

This is so funny. I was working on a few blades today and up to now I had been doing belt finishes and finishing with a scotchbrite. Today I decided I wanted to do hand finished up to 600 if it was OK and maybe I was going to go to 1000 I had pretty good results with the WD40 . But I will give the mobil a try always willing to learn a new trick. And since this thread is three years old I was glad to see it at the top of the list.

Frank,
Not that my opinions carry much weight but, for what it's worth, I always point people to this thread when questions of hand finishing arise. I've used Mobil 1 on every knife since I read your tips here.

In this forum you and I are equal as far as opinions are concerned. Now as to abilities, I hope yours have far more than me since I don't figure I have many. I honestly believe everyone may have something to offer. I had a young fellow in my shop working on a very large Bowie. He had some previous knife making experience and told me he wanted to be able to return to me something that would be usefull to me . One afternoon he started doing some vertical flutes on a practice handle that was a piece of wood micarta. I was busy doing something on a folder I was going with but still noticed he seemed to be getting along without asking any questions. This created an interest for me. I liked doing vertical flutes at times on pearl handles. I never found it a comfortable job to do, since every time I went to do a new groove the file wanted to skate and go every where except where I was trying to make it go. He had come up with a simple answer, and that was to take a fine tooth saw and start the groove by first using it ! That was an awfull lot of pay back for me !!! It can come from anyone if you keep your mind open as well as your eyes. Frank

Last edited:
Hi,

I want to show you my latest knife. I finished it with 600 Grit Sandpaper and Mobile 1.

attachment.php

DSCF4456_v2.jpg

Frank, thanks for sharing. I am done with WD-40 and cutting fluid. Mobil One is the only thing I use for hand sanding now. The results are amamzing on 4 knives I worked on this week.

Christian ( stone600), thanks for posting your great find. So, what is the next one? :)

Back