Polishing my planer blade knife

bd40e799025926f7c0bcc5070bb4d843.jpg

So fellows here is the blade sanded out to 2000 grit. Tomorrow it meets the buffer I got for my drill. Hoping for a bit more luster and gloss to the reflectuve shine.

I've only taken one to mirror polish so far and I must say, what pain in the ***! It will look perfect at 2000 grit and that buffer will make invisible scratches look like craters! Good luck.

Almost done with the blade Walt, looking good. Did you decide what finish you are going to use for the wood?

Walt - I'm a litle confused by this statement you made on post 31 - "I did and have one blade to finish shaping and grinding then off to heat treat." If you havent gotten blad too hot working it, why would you send to have HT. Isn't it already hardened?

He is probably talking about another knife made from stock he has bought recently, not the old saw blades he uses.

Great work on knife wall e. Keep it up. As far as annealing and rehardening M2, I don't suggest it. It can be a real pain, and hardening temp is 2100-2200 for most HSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve that was answering the previous post about taking mr Doyle up on the known softer steels. And no the blade didnt get too hot and lose its temper and yes they are already heat treated.
Self I think that the vlades gonna stay at 2k sanded. I got hit by some crawlin nasty head cold and slept today away so buffing didnt happen. Have a handle to finish sanding s8nce its only at 400grit. Lol. No way do I plan on annealing these blades. As the first attempt at a wood handle I am going to use natural colored danish oil on the myrtlewood.

Not yet. My whole house came down with a gnarly coughing head cold.mix and we stayed home to prevent sharing the bug for the holidays. Will post the final product up tomorrow though.

7b083c424900d81082ff5724467f7ae2.jpg

Here is the completed knife with a 2k grit reflective finish on the blade and danish oil rubbed handle scales.
So gents here is my first completed knife that used most of the tips you have shared with me.
Thank you all rhinoknives, selfmadeknives,frank niro,J. Doyle, c craft and demo and slatroni.
If I missed any one else in this thread or others thank you

Last edited:
Hey Walt, things are coming around slowly but surely for you. Pretty decent looking finish on that. :)

Walt - that's a NICE looking present for your Grandpa - he's going to be pleased, and got plenty of "bling" with that shiny blade. Handle looks good 'n shiny for him also.

Ken H>

Grandpa is a bit of warhoop as he calls it so likes the BLING. LOL thank you fellas. It is a great start and base to improve on, I know its not a perfect knife there are flaws in it that can be fixed by slowing down next time in the blade finish department. Not rushing through the sanding before assembly will make it a bit easier next time. and can get a better completed product also. My guard has the same 2k finish on it but because I rushed to try and complete the knife there are gaps between the blade and the guard. And the handle and liner dont pop like I wanted them to. Handle is smooth soft and comfortable but is not as nice as I saw it in my head because I rushed through it. I know Im my own worst critic but that is my areas to improve upon. It is my truly first knife that isnt a damascus of unicorn horn and dragon scales with...... yall get the idea. I thank you all for the thumbs up and good works. If there is something you see to improve upon and would like to show me an area to improve upon or suggestion for low tech how to make it better feel free to lead off with an improvement or technique that may help is..... keep me from gettin all butthurt or being grumpy.
Thanks again
Walt.

Walt, remember this. Most of the "flaws" that we see in our knives will never be found by the owner. You have made a BIG jump in knife making! So take what you learn on each knife to make the next one better. I think that is what we all do!

Too true Steve just had to pick at my work to see if any one else saw fit or finish issue. is a massive inprovement over the first one I called a knife. Lol

So gave Grampa the knife yesterday and he was a man of few words and got a smile and a well thank you. He isnt a really emotional man so it was the best Id get. Was also the last of the superbowl. Lol

I'm sure he was really proud of it. My grandpa was kind of the same way, very few words. But, at the end of his life, in his last days, he did say a "few" words that let me know he how much he had appreciated me. No one else in the room understood what he was talking about, but it was loud and clear to me.

Only thing missing is a pic of the new owner with his new knife!

Back