My reluctance on a sharpening tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about negotiating a limited term partnership with James Terrio, we live close enough together to get into some trouble.

He must have a damaged knife laying around somewhere, I have tequila and a wet rock.

Careful what you wish for! Tell you what, when I get this current batch ready I'll send you one and let you sharpen and/or polish it to your heart's content. Frankly that's my least favorite part anyway :D

I remember being so proud the first time I put a nice clean shaving edge on my old Buck. I used two Arkansas stones, charcoal lighter fluid, and a leather belt. (not a belt-grinder belt, the kind that holds your pants up) I stropped that thing within an inch of its life and cut my eyes just looking at it.

The thrill wore off when friends and family admired it and started wanting me to sharpen their knives... for free, of course. And they all seemed to think it would only take a couple minutes. :rolleyes: And they all promptly started whacking and scraping their knives on cutting boards and wondered why I got mad. :cool:

It's a good thing these techniques are for Japanese knives, because I make American knives. I guess I can carry on as usual. I think a lot of you other guys should be OK too.

I'd like to add one thing. This forum has always been a place for exchange of ideas. We have always tried to help others to become better makers through an exchange of knowledge. As a result this forum has grown rapidly and many members have learned new and better ways to make their knives. Also, those who humbly gave their help have reaped the reward of watching their friends and peers turn out fine knives. That is what we are about here. We are not here to talk down to others or discredit their methods.
-John

Well put Mr. Barker. That's the point I've been trying to get at the entire time.

On that note, I'm going to lock this down.

If anyone would like to discuss it further, shoot me a PM.

Or better yet, call me Toll-Free 1-877-232-5721

BC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back