My reluctance on a sharpening tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "secret" to sharpening is to use an abrasive that will remove metal from the edge. And pay attention to the angles.

Everything else is just a matter of technique and efficiency. Folks like us are always interested in efficient techniques. I don't give a hoot whether it takes billet paste, tomato paste or toothpaste, if it works, show me how and I'll give it a try!

Tourist, "Ben has offered to verify that I'm just a thug with a stone" and I beleive you said you wouldn't sharpen many knives here, or words to that effect.
So, maybe an abreviated thug-snobbish, this is how I sharpen thread? Don't call it a tutorial if that bothers you. Since many of us don't have anyone to show us how they sharpen, your input would be appreciated. Credentials be danged. Thanks, Dozier

Sorry I was gone for a bit, but I just wanted to demonstrate my Edge Pro. Below is a Benchmade promotional knife designed for breast health charities. It has a pink handle, but it is made from all of their best stuff. You know, axis-style lock, better alloy, Spydie hole opening, etc.

No hocus-pocus or ancient Japanese tools. Just the stuff Ben Dale sold me, a touch of nagura, and finished with motorcycle paste. Ben can sell you this stuff over the telephone.

002-6.jpg

The Tourist Sharpening Tutorial (not polishing)

1) Camera.
2) Subject knife.
3) Your choice of one sharpening method.
4) The tool(s) to perform chosen sharpening method.
5) Pictoral documentation of each step involved.
6) "How to" text to accompany each photo.
7) Voodoo spell recipe.

Pull the trigger man!

We're ready when you are.

Still :unsure:

(we've already been informed that we can search the internet for this information)

Bring on the good stuff!!

2thumbs

Last edited:
Jeff,
Try a leather belt with some green rouge instead of the buffer. It might be a little safer. Looks good.
-John

Voodoo spell recipe.

Tell about the 'spell'? Ahhh, man, that's the best part!

I'm thinking about negotiating a limited term partnership with James Terrio, we live close enough together to get into some trouble.

He must have a damaged knife laying around somewhere, I have tequila and a wet rock.

I use a butcher's steel and Spyderco ceramic files. If it's too dull or damaged for
those, it get the KMG slack belt treatment first.

On the front side, I use a 40 micron belt, then a 20, then a 15 and finally a 9 micron belt on my 1x30" craftsman until hair pops along the entire edge.

Over to the Kalamazoo to a leather belt with white rouge to polish the edge.

Did I just say....

...polish?!?!

Why, yes I did.

I'm currently sharpening edge down. However, I'm trying edge up on the 2x72 with some success.

Piece of cake. You may need to play with the angles a little.

2thumbs

BC

Thank you both for that fine tutorial and doing it in a single post, Bill! Bless you, sir!

Thank you both for that fine tutorial and doing it in a single post, Bill! Bless you, sir!

Your welcome. I've read Jerry Hossoms post and watched J Neilsons video on the JD multiple times.

Like anything else, you get better with time. I was very nervous in the beginning because you can burn off a tip in a blink of an eye! There goes a few days worth of work down the drain.

...don't ask me how I know

;)

BC

On the front side, I use a 40 micron belt, then a 20, then a 15 and finally a 9 micron belt on my 1x30" craftsman until hair pops along the entire edge.

I start with the micron belt pocudure as well. I then move to my paper wheel with white or pink rouge and a final pass on a 1x42 leather belt.

My knives are sharper than they've ever been and they seem to hold a nice edge for a good while.

I am fairly new at sharpening in this manner, but after trying all the gadgets and stone and such I came to the conclusion I don't have the patience for that.

I don't have the patience for that.

If there is one problem with owners and their dull knives, this is it.

One of the reasons this topic bothers me is that some townie is always demanding a "secret" like I can sell him a bag of magic beans. In almost all cases when they hear the phrase, "Read this history book and give it a few years" their eyes glaze over. They want something they can 'rub on a knife now.'

All of the truly rewarding pursuits in life come with a cost of time and effort and some pain. Like, cabinet making, weight lifting and yes, knife sharpening.

For a knife to cut the best, the edge has to be perfectly formed, devoid of flaws and chips, and polished. And what baffles me is that some of the sportsmen who claim to love cutlery will grind up a knife like kindling because their time is so valuable. Heavens, you can't miss Oprah.

I once took flak in a forum for admitting that it took me over three hours to properly re-profile and polish a poorly treated Japanese knife. One "expert" scoffed that with his grinding wheel he could do it in minutes. Well, I'll bet I could get all of the bird droppings off his Corvette with sandpaper, although I'd advise against it.

An edge takes patience, even more than it requires water and stone. Even a polisher with decades of skill requires on the average of ten to fourteen days to repair and polish a katana. So if I take a few hours it means virtually nothing.

Besides, aren't we supposed to love cutlery and our craft?

I agree that getting an edge requires a bit of patience. However you're making a lot of references to sharpening and polishing swords in quite a few of your posts. Few of the members her are dedicated sword makers, many however are knife makers. We're just interested in putting a scary sharp edge on a knife for the most part. Not make something look like an authentic katana from feudal Japan. More often than not some people can pick up something from someone one way or another in many tutorials.

So what your saying is that if i use my belt grinder i not sharping my knife. :confused:

No, I'm recommending the use of proper tools. If I have to buy a new socket I try to buy a six-point deep well.

There's an old adage that states if all you have is a hammer the entire world looks like a nail. I believe that.

I don't think heat and speed are good for Japanese knives.

To sharpen a blade you have to remove metal .so what does it matter if you take hours or days with water and a stone or you do the same thing in two passes on the belt grinder

First off, my niche is Japanese kitchen knives. They are laminates, often quite expensive. Grinding is the wrong procedure.

But more to the point, no one is stopping you from your chosen tool. To be fair, I get to pick mine. Many craftsmen and hobbyists choose simpler ways to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back