Maxim oil is now selling Park #50.

I'm interested in this as well, I've talked to Lee myself, (I think he's so nice because he's a Texan) anyway, how are you going to judge the results? Is there anyone willing to do the Rockwell testing, maybe having one or 2 different people to do the testing would be better, at least that way they could all be judge equally, I would be willing to Ht a few baldes with it, different types and thicknesses, using Aldo's 1084, and some of his 1095, the thick 3/8" stock he has, if there is someone that would do the RC testing for mine, I'd be happy to run a few blades on it, Thanks, Rex

I'm interested in this as well, I've talked to Lee myself, (I think he's so nice because he's a Texan) anyway, how are you going to judge the results? Is there anyone willing to do the Rockwell testing, maybe having one or 2 different people to do the testing would be better, at least that way they could all be judge equally, I would be willing to Ht a few baldes with it, different types and thicknesses, using Aldo's 1084, and some of his 1095, the thick 3/8" stock he has, if there is someone that would do the RC testing for mine, I'd be happy to run a few blades on it, Thanks, Rex

I'd be happy to do some RC testing for you.
Larry

Thanks Larry, that's one of the missing ingredients. Ultimately I plan on comparing Parks #50, DT48 and a polymer Lee sells called PQ90. My interest in these is primarily for 1095. It would be great if I could send you a few pieces to test when I'm finished.

As far as testing in my shop, I'll quench some 1095 just like I'd do in brine and see how hard it gets. if I like the edge I get I'll do it again and again and again to see if I can get the same results multiple times.

Hey Darrin, I'll send you a gallon. PM me with your address and I'll let you know about shipping when I get the stuff.

Thanks Larry, that's one of the missing ingredients. Ultimately I plan on comparing Parks #50, DT48 and a polymer Lee sells called PQ90. My interest in these is primarily for 1095. It would be great if I could send you a few pieces to test when I'm finished.

As far as testing in my shop, I'll quench some 1095 just like I'd do in brine and see how hard it gets. if I like the edge I get I'll do it again and again and again to see if I can get the same results multiple times.

Hey Darrin, I'll send you a gallon. PM me with your address and I'll let you know about shipping when I get the stuff.

Are there any updates on the Maxim Quench oil? Or maybe an projected date when the new quench will be ready? Looking forward to getting some!! It is Christmas you know!!! Thanks, Rex

I haven't received the oil yet, it shipped a few days later than expected but should be here any day. I've got some blades ready for quenching and some squares to send to Larry but I need some oil first! I'll let you all know what my first impressions are but it'll take some time to get a full set of results with RC tests. I know a lot of you are interested in this and I'll do my best to get some results posted.

I got the DT48 over the holidays so I haven't had much time to try it out. I quenched three blades with it but haven't had a chance to finish them out yet. My preliminary testing shows that thinner cross sections of 1095 can get hard enough to make a cutting edge but I'll know how good of an edge after I sharpen them and do some edge testing. I quenched these first blades with clay on the spines because that's my usual method with 1095. this oil does need proper agitation to cool a blade of 1095 well, I don't think the "slicing motion" we talk about is adequate with this material. I believe it requires a mechanical means of agitation. More to come.
Darren, I got a gallon jug, I'll see about shipping tomorrow.

here's an excerpt from an e mail Lee just sent today.

"Also, we finally received the Park #50 and now have eleven 5 gallon pails in
stock in Ft Worth, TX. If you don't mind... please spread the word as I
would like to sell most of these #50 pails prior to getting more.
I have been trying to find ways to lower the costs.

As of 12/29/10, Maxim will offer the following to any who might call:

Duratherm 48- in a 5-gallon pail, 12.50 per gallon(62.50), plus fedex frt.
From Fort Worth, TX

Park # 50- in a 5-gallon pail, 14.50 per gallon(72.50), plus fedex frt.
From Fort Worth, TX

Folks need to ask for Carla(817-293-4-OIL); she takes most credit cards and
will be able to "fixem-up".

Seth, thanks...

Always Grateful;

Lee Neves
Maxim Metalworking Lubricants
Maxim Oil & Chemical Co.
Fort Worth, Texas
817 293 4-OIL

Wow, that's a good price! I'm kinda curious what the shipping cost would be to get another pail. I may have to call and ask tomorrow if I can remember to do so.

Hey Lee, I don't want to sound like I don't want the oil or appreciate the offer but I want to be honest and tell you that I do not have a way to mechanically circulate the oil in my quench tank. So if you would like to send my gallon to someone who does I understand and will not be the least bit offended. That being said now that you are aware of this I will test the oil to the best of my ability if you decide to send it. Just wanted to be sure we're on the same page. Thanks, Darrin.

Seth.
Do you think mech agitation is necessary with all the fast steels with this quench or just the higher 1095.
Murph.
I checked with Lee from maxim, he said fedex shipping to washington state would be about $43.59 and it soounds like he lowered his price $2 a gal to belower then his parks 50 price. total to me would be $106.09 for 5gal Thanks for keeping in touch, look forward to more!!

Hey john, good agitation is important with any oil but, I,d say this stuff would work very well with 1084 or Damascus with 1084/15N20/52100 ect. my first quenches with this stuff were done using the "chopping motion" method on 1095,they got hard but I believe this oil will cool the steel much faster with a pump pushing oil across the blade, this is also what the manufacturer recommends. but, I'm still working with it and I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet. sorry guys, I'm trying to finish up a labor intensive project for one of my best customers and am focusing most of my attention on that. I'll have an edge on these first blades tomorrow and will give an update then.
Lee shipped me a 5gal bucket to Portland Oregon for $35, UPS.

Last edited:
Short update. of the three blades I quenched I've got two finished. I used my usual edge test and they performed around the same as a blade quenched in brine. remember, this is very preliminary but promising none the less. and I encountered no warpage or breakage. also got a nice hamon. I'll get some pics up.
Darrin, no problem I'll still send you a gal, I just got to get over to the PO, I've been busy.

Back