Knifemaker estate sale

Bob that is very kind and its moved me. Im proud to be a maker or the knife. I went on to read Wayne Coe s post and he is so so true. Well all need to have a inventory list set aside some where that when we pass our loved ones will know the value of the piles of things we obtained over the years.

I know you guys had to dig deep to come up with your donations and unfortunately I am not able to add any significant amount. I will be sure to let Gracie know that the donations were hard earned but given generously and always with wishes of more. This coupled with the shop money should help her out. I know she will appreciate it.

Thanks to all,

Bob

Bob,
You are one incredible person, to have done all the things you've already done for someone who is a perfect stranger, with only the single common bond, I am amazed and humbled by your generosity, the spirit in which you stepped up and took the lead, and to also know you, yourself has had a rough couple of years, makes me all the more proud to have at the very least had you as an acquaintance, one day I want to meet you in person and shake your hand. If I'm truly lucky maybe one day I can make you my friend, because the world is full of sorry pieces of crap, disguised as human being, they walk the earth with their hands out, looking for their next easy payday, then we find Bob here busting his butt to help someone else that, I know all too well, lost a husband, provider and if he was like my former wife was to me, a best friend. You are one incredible individual, your selflessness is a breath of fresh air in a world stuck in a vacuum. With all you've already done, you still want to do more!? You have done enough, Gracie owes you a great big thank you, and the rest of us...well, we should be signed up to take lessons. The world would be a much better place then.

I know what your response will be, you don't want anything from Gracie, you didn't do it for that or for any other reason other than she needed some help and you were the closest one to do it, I understand that, and there is no need for you to do more, you have done more than the rest of us, and a hell of a lot more than most anyone else would do, I'll close by saying THANK YOU Bob, for heading this one up, and job WELL DONE!!!!
Rex

Thanks guys.

OK, I am a regular guy that enjoys helping people more than about anything else. Vary rarely does anyone visit my shop that they do not go home with something. I have spent a lot of time in my life trying to help. I love seeing the light bulb come on.

My entire childhood sucked. My old man was abusive, never wrong and went overboard with all punishments. I got grounded for an entire summer because my sister ate a snickers bar and the old man decided it was me. Had to pay rent from the age of 13 and had to pay my own doctor bill when I fell in a mine shaft helping some people whose house burned down when I was 15.

Turns out that when I was 46 I learned he was not my father and my mother was the favorite woman in the bar if you know what I mean. My mom is dead and I learned all this at her funeral. I have no use for the old SOB that "Raised" me. So I know what selfish, cruel people are like and I hate it.

My father-in-law, Pete Lozano, was THE major influence in my life. He was the most altruistic person I ever met. Even though he was older than me and the people I associated with he would always volunteer for the hard job or the uncomfortable seat in the car or even ride in the back of a truck so us young guys could all be together. He was constantly helping those in the neighborhood by fixing their cars or handy man work for them and always tried to do it for free. In return, someone burned his house down. Although he had his house burned down, got sick and died of cancer at a fairly young age, there was no greater greater guy out there. Unfortunately the saying "Good guys finish last" is completely true. I took his wife into my home for the next 16 years until she passed.

As for me I liked what he represented a lot more than the guy that should have treated me well. I got married at 21 and from that time on I had a great role model. I have yet to meet a more generous person and I decided I was going to follow his example and help everyone I could. Since then I have tried to help people and not be selfish in my goals. I have helped a few knifemakers and people needing welding work and some other things over the years.

Unfortunately the "Nice Guys finish last," curse is following me. I could list a lifetime of getting screwed by those I have helped. I can give a lifetime of injuries I have received that have interfered with my ability to walk and stand for very long (seven surgeries on my left leg alone). I can tell you stories of companies I worked my butt off for that still have not paid me. I am on the verge of loosing my house and property because I can't find a job. BUT I still have PETE in the back of my mind and I know he would not stop trying to help others and neither will I. Am I ashamed of my situation? Not at all. You will see posts of mine talking about my situation and it is not to get sympathy but just to let people understand where I am coming from. If I could give free knifemaking lessons for the rest of my life I would love it but I cannot.

So, here is a woman that lost her husband and knows nothing about his tools and their value. I am close, I know the value and what things are, so why not take a drive over there and try to see if I can help, I'm not working anyway. I cannot even stay home and make knives because I have not replaced all the tools I sold after my motorcycle wreck. So I may as well help her out, RIGHT? I am sure someone else would have done so if I had not.

Unfortunately I can help everyone except myself. I used to make $83,000/year with just a high school education. I could always come up with the answer to a problem and solve it. After the economy went south I lost that job and it has been rough ever since with jobs and with a motorcycle wreck and then a broken back. Nobody wants my brain anymore and I physically can't do the labor work. I also have the overqualified garbage to deal with and it costs me a lot of jobs.

So I feel like I am following the path of Pete. But if that is the plan, I will face it with pride.

For those of you out there that think you need to hang on to what you have to have a better life, think again. Go out and help a stranger. The next time you clean out your kids room of all the toys they don't play with, bag them up and drive to a poor part of town. Find a kid playing with broken toys or no toys and ask them if you can talk to their mother. Explain that you are in a good situation and have some toys that you want to donate to a family that may be struggling.

You will not believe the emotions you get from a stranger when they realize that you want to help WITHOUT judging them or why they are not doing better. I used to go down sometimes and get a family and take them to the grocery store and tell them they have $100 to spend and they must spend it all. They don't buy steak, I can tell you that. They buy rice and flour and other staple foods, there is no greed there just pure appreciation. When you go to McDonalds and see a mom with a couple kids and she ends up a dollar short, the salesperson looks at them like they are worthless and the other patrons start complaining about them and how the poor should not come and hold things up. Why not get out a dollar and help her out? I do.

I have a lot of work to get my shop back to where it was and I am working on it and hopefully you guys will see some knives out of me before to long. I hope they are good enough to draw some sales at decent prices. It is hard to buy materials to build tools and it is even hard to get knife steels for making the knives.

My only regret ------ Not being able to take better care of my wife. She has Lupus and I REALLY wish I could get to a point where she could stop working her part time job and just relax and try to feel better. Not in the cards for us I guess but maybe my helping others out will make their life better in some way, at least someone benefits.

When the day comes to meet my maker I know I can stand proud with how I lived and will have Pete waiting to show me around.

A very inspirational speach Bob. I have no doubt that Pete is smiling as he watches over you.

Bob, a very up lifting testimonial. If what you posted is the truth and I have no reason to believe it is not! There will be rewards one day! You must be a strong person as I believe for the most part that God is watching over you! Sometimes it seems that we receive more than we can bare! Hang in there my friend and stay strong, you are in my thoughts and prayers! God bless you and your family!

Thank you letter from Gracie Blasingame

Hey all,

Here is the letter I got today from Gracie Blasingame. She wrote it with a felt tip pen and it is a little difficult to read in some spots but I think everyone should be able to read it.

Thanks to all that have taken part in helping this very nice lady.

R.I.P. Bob Blasingame.

Attachments

• gracie.jpg
    gracie.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 51
Bob,
Can you tell me a couple of things, first of all what type of knife steel do you like to use most of all, also what tools are you in need of to get back to work? I'm not offering very much from my end, but we all find deals every now and again, and I'm sure there are some folks here that may have some extra laying around that they may not use or need. I think I may have a few pieces that you might be able to use, also do you forge or primarily stock removal? AND your address is necessary as well.
I know exactley what you mean about nice guys finishing last, it does seem that way, but I will say nice guys don't have to look over their shoulder, wondering whe someone will be coming for revenge. I know nice guys sleep a lot better, because their concious is clear. We might end up with a lot less than those that cut everyone else's throat to get ahead, but happiness is what you make it. Being content in this life with the way you've treated people does mean a lot, you just have to be in the right company.
I offer you no charity, only oppurtunity. You've earned as much as we can afford to send your way. I'll be taking a look in my supplies and see what I can spare, I'm sure I have some in there that I don't intend on using. I know for a fact you can put it to good use. I have always believed in karma, in paying it forward, I've seen it at work, and it never seems to work in our needed time frame, but it does come around eventually.
Also, what do you prefer to use on handles? I know I have a lot of wood, as I have had some for sale, plus my own stash, that I think you will like a lot, now answer my questions, it's time to make you smile a little, Rex

I've only been involved with the online Knife Community for about 5 years now,
and in that time I've seen more compassion and caring for others than I've ever witnessed before.
I find it ironic that the media makes it seem like those who carry knives walk a darker road than the rest of society:
If only they knew what I know...
Bob, of all the remarkable things I've seen folks in this Community do for others,
your selflessness and actions shine brighter than any I've witnessed,
and Brother, I am deeply moved and humbled.
You are a remarkable person, and I'm honored to be able to share some space here with you.
And you folks who helped Bob and Gracie make that Light shine all the brighter...
I am proud to know you all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice words Ironwolf, you are very kind.

Rex, you already made me smile.

As far as knifemaking here is my situation. Everything I made in the past has been fixed blades, either 1084 or damascus hand forged.

Almost five years ago things were going pretty well until my bike wreck which trashed my left leg (The fourth time I had major leg injuries to that leg) and I did not walk or work for a year. It was hit and run so I could not go after the guy that hit me.

During the following year I had to sell my hydraulic press, both of my forges (and propane tank), all of my barstock for guards, my anvil, tongs and hammers, my grinding belt supply, anodizer, most of my steel (the larger and wider pieces), all of the titanium I had purchased in anticipation of making folders and a lot of the good handle material I had.

I have been getting some of the stuff rebuilt. I have one forge done and my welding forge is close, just need a few hard fire bricks to complete it.

Once the forge is complete I can start on damascus again after I build a press. Luckily I worked in demolition and ended up with a small press with a 6" cylinder for crimping hydraulic hoses (no dies) but need to get it rebuilt because it leaks and get a faster pump and motor and mount it all on a frame. Then it will be done. Then the damascus work can start.

Unfortunately I cannot stand very long, my leg and back hurt all the time and about 15 minutes is my limit on standing or walking. I plan to build the press as a horizontal one so I can sit while working it.

I have replaced my anvil in a trade but forging will be limited to short spurts and all my steel is to small to use for stock removal.

Luckily I was able to keep my KMG and my welders so I can build almost anything if I can get the parts together.

I have quite a bit of handle material but it is not stabilized stuff. I have some ironwood that is nice and I plan to use it on the first couple of knives I make in my return to knifemaking. The rest is scraps or slabs of walnut, some KOA and other regular woods. I will build a stabilizing setup eventually, have to do some research on them first. Got rid of all my more exotic handle materials.

I have quite a bit of 440C I got in a trade but unfortunately I do not have a heat treat oven. I have a lot of the parts to make one but need a controller and they are kinda pricey with the ramp up controls. Will have to compromise and get a PID and I will change temps by the clock and do it manually. That will be a while due to finances. Plus it appears 440C is not a popular steel anymore so knives may not sell well. I do have some cpm154 I got from Tracey a while back, just need to find a way to heat treat it and I can make a couple larger knives.

Luckily before my wreck I made several bars of damascus and have enough for several knives and plan on using it for my comeback into knifemaking.

Also I plan to start making folders, I can make the steel go a little farther and hopefully get some fair prices. I have enough damascus for probably a couple fixed blades and maybe four folders assuming I make no mistakes.

I attempted a folder already and screwed up the blade by grinding it to thin and not parallel . I need a surface grinder and don't have one so I have already started building one. Need a few parts but think I have it covered except for the contact wheel. I think stainless and damascus will be my main steels once I get setup for stainless heat treating.

Sure, I need some things but I did not help Gracie or post my situation on here to get people to feel sorry for me and send me stuff. I am just not embarrassed by where I am in the world and will continue to try to climb to the top.

I could use some handle material.
I could use some materials to make mosaic pins (want to make mosaic thong tubes also).
I could use some 3/8" 416 stainless guard stock.
I could use some pivot pins and folder screws and such.
I could use some cpm154 or ats34 or similar after I get my heat treat oven built.

If anyone has an abundance of these items that they can part with, I would be interested in a trade if I have something you want.

I really appreciate you guys.

Bob,once I'm moved and settled in again,
I'd be really happy to make up a bunch of mosaic pins for you.
I use mostly 1/4" brass barrels (with brass and copper guts) as it offers the widest number of possible patterns;
shoot me a PM and I'll email you pics of the patterns I make, and you can let me know what you like.
(it might be a few weeks before I'm set up again though)
Here's an example of what I do
DSCN5547-1.jpg

DSCN5553-1.jpg

DSCN5554-1.jpg

DSCN5555-1.jpg

Last edited:
Good for you, Bob.:35:

Nobody should be taken advantage of in a situation like that.
But damn if it doesn't happen.:34:

Bob, I don't even know you but you're a class act for sure. Sent you a PM to see if I can help you out. What you've done is beyond words. Don't know what else to say.

Hi

The world would be a nicer place if everyone helped each other more. You did a nice thing and I'm sure it was rewarding. If some of us wanted to do something for you, could you please give us your address in this post, or if you don't feel this is the right place for your address will you send it to me in a private message. I have not got my grinder built yet, but found some 2x72 belts from a guy on craigslist for cheap a while back. I do not know a lot about their quality, but would like to send a few to you and some other things.

Justin

Hey guys,

I am having difficulty handling this change in direction from Gracie to me. This was not intended.

I have received a couple of private messages offering to help me out. I appreciate it VERY much and frankly could use a few things for sure. However, I have a need to find a way to pay for the things I get.

As I already told someone in a private message, I have trouble wrapping my head around someone giving me something. ESPECIALLY if I end up making a knife with it and then try to sell it. I would feel like I am taking advantage of the person giving the item. I do not want to take advantage of anyone in any way.

If you have an abundance of something and think I could use it, please send me a PM and we can discuss how I can pay you for your items.

You all are a bunch of altruistic people and the knife making community is better for it.

Bob

Bob,
Like yourself there are people left in this world that are still willing to help where they can. Don't think of it as charity or you taking advantage of someone. They wouldn't offer to help if they didn't feel moved to do so. You have given so much of yourself, maybe it's time you received a little in return. What goes around comes around they say.... PM sent buddy.
Mike

Last edited:
Man I have to agree with Mike. You know about Karma Bob. I think its your turn to be on the receiving end of things.
PM inbound soon.

Back