Jigs: Curse or Cure?

Finally getting into this long, seasoned thread. Good reading, you all...here's my experience with it. When I was fitting up a lot of weld-stud concrete imbeds for a different industry jigs could be worth a lot...200 of the same unit with the same six studs on them, same location, that sort of thing. For even my batches of 5-10 knives though, I find I might as well just do them by hand versus setting up a jig and figuring out it's quirks. I definitely agree on the potential speed issue, and I guess my only real contribution is my definition of "Authorship".
If you make the knife, even if you're running a crank drawing the jig over the wheel, you made it. There's a point to be had with full disclosure of your investment in the piece, I certainly credit the damascus I use occasionally to the actual source instead of allowing the customer to assume I made it myself. Deception, even when it's omission, is a nasty thing. I think when it's a series of fourteen guys, a CNC machine hollow grinding farmed-out waterjet blanks, on to CNC cut scales and a stamp-die leather cutting machine for all the sheath parts, that you've entered "factory" status and there no longer is any individual authorship. Running equipment, even complex tooling, solo, with hand assembly? Definitely not a curse there.

Ah.... the seemingly endless debate: To jig or not to jig!?

I've kind of held off responding to this discussion, since for one, I didn't feel like I had anything to add, and two, I didn't really know what to say anyhow. But after giving it a little more thought, I think I'll add my two cents:

When I initially started making knives, I was personally against using jigs, and taught myself to grind free hand (while using a work rest to support my hands and/or the blade). Since then, I have made and used a couple of jigs, but it seems like I always come right back to free handing.
I guess for me personally, it boils down to this: I want to contiually push myself to my own personal limits as a maker, and THEN move above and beyond those limits until I find another one. That being said, I just can't see doing that if I rely solely on jigs to make my knives.

When I see a knife, no matter what kind it is, I want to one day be able to say: "I can do that", or even "I can do that better". Many types of knives (mainly fixed blades and neckers) I can honestly look at and say "yes, I can do that". But then I see masterpieces from guys like Bruce Bump, Ed Caffrey, T.A. Davison, (I could go on and on and on with fellow Knife Dogs who's work I admire), and I can't yet say "I can do that".

For one, in order to reach that limit, I'm gonna have to pick up a hammer, anvil, and a forge, and/or start making slip joints... :D Secondly, I'm going to have to address my weaknesses as a maker and overcome them. Part of that for me personally, has been learning to grind the best grinds I can without aid of a jig. The next part will be tools, then finally, practice, practice and more practice, all while continuing to absorb all that these generous makers (and more) continue to offer and pushing myself to try new projects like slipjoints, takedown bowies, etc.. etc...

Now don't take this the wrong way: I'm not saying that jigs are the sole reason that we don't have a million more Mastersmiths registered with the ABS. I'm just saying that I personally feel that this was one of many areas I needed to address if I'm going to become a better maker.

For some, this is a moot point, as they may never aspire to be much more than they already are. For some that do have certain ambitions and aspirations, jigs may play a vital role in getting there. Some yet may attain greatness without every using a jig. For me though, part of that journey has been to set jigs aside, lest I become too comfortable and stop pushing.

In my opinion, as long as you're continually pushing and trying to better yourself as a maker, how you get there is kind of beside the point. For those that may be perfectly satisfied with where they are at? I guess that's fine too. ;) I'm just wired a little different.

YMMV.

Don't let what other makers do bring you down, or up for that matter.

If someone bothers you or ya get a little envy (and it happens to us all) don't try to tear them down, try to out grow them! :)

Great advise Les! I think a lot of us will need to remember this from time to time.

Back