I bought a laser engraver/cutter

Dang it, now you guys got me thinking about a laser. Especially since I had a electro etch stencil clog up on me last night and i had to grind the mark out.

I can't read the label - what is it? You gonna LOVE the laser. I've got a pretty good pattern for the Kabar knife if you want it. Chris Railey (thank you Chris) sent me his pattern for his Kabar, and I've tweaked it some to fit my original Kabar.

I can't read the label - what is it? You gonna LOVE the laser. I've got a pretty good pattern for the Kabar knife if you want it. Chris Railey (thank you Chris) sent me his pattern for his Kabar, and I've tweaked it some to fit my original Kabar.

It's the ortur master 3. It does work quite well. I tested out a few things and burned my makers mark into a test piece. There's definitely a learning curve. I like all the other projects that are available as well!

Dog gone it gang. I feel someone tugging at my wallet.
Question . Since the flat of the blade is slightly angled in relation to the cutting table does it cause a reduction in depth of laser cut.
Thanks for an interesting thread

Chris - that is SLICK! Did you draw that design yourself? It sure does look good - nice perporations.

No, I got that off the internet. I had to do a little manipulation as far as size. That's a celtic knot (of sorts). I have some other patterns I'll be trying as well. My plan previously was to etch them but the vinyl cutters don't do the intricate designs very well. But the laser does!

Dog gone it gang. I feel someone tugging at my wallet.
Question . Since the flat of the blade is slightly angled in relation to the cutting table does it cause a reduction in depth of laser cut.
Thanks for an interesting thread

You do have to position the laser so it is burning at the focal point, but it would have to be a pretty big curve to cause an issue.

The small about of difference due to the bevel doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm not sure just how much the focus will take, but 1/16" for sure isn't an issue, and I suspect up to 1/8" will work. Something I need to test.

The small about of difference due to the bevel doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm not sure just how much the focus will take, but 1/16" for sure isn't an issue, and I suspect up to 1/8" will work. Something I need to test.
I agree on the eighth inch not making much difference because I am notorious for not setting my focal distance prior to using the laser. I have not noticed a big difference especially in leather. Steel, maybe a little.

A bump to this thread.

My home built etching machine just died. I had put in a new transformer and I ended up with smoke instead of an etch. Boss Dogs etching kit is over $400 and it looks like I can get a factory Pre-owned Ortur for the same. Sounds like a no brainer. However a few questions for those of you that have one of these machines.

Firstly, where are you setting yours up? My shop space is already very limited. And I do have a spare room in the house where I do leather work. But then I'm dealing with cats and possible strong odors.

For those of you that have had your machines for several months now, how are they holding up? Any issues?

And finally what supplies and other expenses have been incurred to really get things up and running? My budget is straining and yelling (actually what budget?), but I need something to make my mark on a blade if nothing else.

Thanks for any feedback.

If you are talking about just etching your makers mark - I really like the personalized plus. I’ve been well satisfied with the purchase.
I previously used an Evers stamp but it seemed like I never could get a consistent even stamp.

If you are talking about just etching your makers mark - I really like the personalized plus. I’ve been well satisfied with the purchase.
I previously used an Evers stamp but it seemed like I never could get a consistent even stamp.
Thanks opaul. That's certainly less expensive. And yes for now just etching my makers mark might be the least expensive way to go. I do like the looks of these laser machines though. And as it turns out the re-furbished unit I was looking at was European 220. I can't use that. Though I'm sure other refurbished units will be available in the near future.

A bump to this thread.

My home built etching machine just died. I had put in a new transformer and I ended up with smoke instead of an etch. Boss Dogs etching kit is over $400 and it looks like I can get a factory Pre-owned Ortur for the same. Sounds like a no brainer. However a few questions for those of you that have one of these machines.

Firstly, where are you setting yours up? My shop space is already very limited. And I do have a spare room in the house where I do leather work. But then I'm dealing with cats and possible strong odors.

For those of you that have had your machines for several months now, how are they holding up? Any issues?

And finally what supplies and other expenses have been incurred to really get things up and running? My budget is straining and yelling (actually what budget?), but I need something to make my mark on a blade if nothing else.

Thanks for any feedback.

I haven't had any issues with my machine. I haven't had a ton of time to use it other than maker's marks. I have tested some burning into wood and I'm about to do some leather with it. For those you're gonna want some ventilation. Many build boxes for the lasers with an exhaust tube and fan to get rid of the smoke.

I'm sure it wouldn't have any issue with etching a cat! ;)

For marking knives I use it in the house on the table. For cutting or etching leather, I use it in the shop only. I have a little table I put it on in the shop and when cutting leather. I put a piece of steel (old saw blade) under the leather for two reasons. No burning/cutting of my table and it lets me use magnets to steady the workpiece while it is being cut. When I am done, I hang it on the wall, where it sits until I need it again. I have had no issues or costs associated with it but I did spring for the LightBurn license as I like it way better than the free stuff they give you (maybe $50) I design in Q-CAD and import into LightBurn for the actual burn.

Chris and Chris thanks for the feedback. I may have to wait a bit until I have the funds. But I'm pretty sure this is the way to go.

Back