I bought a laser engraver/cutter

Chris Railey

I wanted to see if you guys are interested in me posting some knife (making) specific testing on the Laser cutter I recently acquired. It is a 10W diode laser (Ortur Laser Master 3) and I familiar enough with its operation now to do some pretty in depth testing related to knife stuff. I will post in WIP style if there is interest. The engraver is supposed to be able to engrave Stainless and HC steel with no chemicals (have not tested that yet). Post up if you want to see results.

I can already tell you that I will never cut another sheath blank by hand. I am fortunate enough to have taught myself previously how to use QCAD so I drew out a sheath blank and was able to cut it straight away. One pass and three minutes from start to finish including the laser cut welt. Glued it together and sewed it up without ANY trimming or fitting. I may cry... I have a CowBoy Outlaw machine so I did not cut stitching holes but the laser will cut 1mm (.039) holes perfectly, so no more stitching chisels. I am also going to draw out some upside down teardrop shaped leather washer files complete with tang cutout for a current project I am working on which is a Twisted Damascus KA-Bar for a retiring friend.

YES!!!!!! Please do some posting 'n WIP threads. Sheath cutting, blade engraving, etc. I've looked at those and knew they would engrave pretty using paint, but I would LOVE to see carbon or SS blade engraved.

I've just recently started working with lasers. I have an XTool D1 Pro diode laser and an OMG 60 watt fiber laser. The diode laser will not engrave steel. Using some marking sprays you can mark steel with a diode laser but it will not engrave it.

This was done with the Fiber laser.
11.jpg
25.jpg
13.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
23.jpg

With the fiber I can also engrave my Damascus blades.
31.jpg

Fiber will engrave Kydex also
kydex.jpg

This is my ultimate goal with the fiber laser but I'm a long way from being able to do this.
g1.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your laser work. They open up a lot of new possibilities. I know you're excited.

First steel test. 1080 machine sanded to 400 grit no chemicals. 100% power 200 mm/ min two passes. I can feel it etched into the steel with my thumbnail.

Attachments

• A6DF8924-81C4-45E8-BD77-F37D27746DC6.jpeg
    A6DF8924-81C4-45E8-BD77-F37D27746DC6.jpeg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 9
Second test I did 150 mm/min 100 power two passes. I can feel it went a little deeper. The etches are not what I would call deep but they are recessed into the steel surface. I would make sure I etched with this laser after all of my hand sanding was done. It would survive a little sanding but not a lot. It is as deep as I ever got with my electro etching stuff.

Second test I did 150 mm/min 100 power two passes. I can feel it went a little deeper. The etches are not what I would call deep but they are recessed into the steel surface. I would make sure I etched with this laser after all of my hand sanding was done. It would survive a little sanding but not a lot. It is as deep as I ever got with my electro etching stuff.
About my fourth attempt this one is on a fully heat treated AEB-L knife I am working on. Just as deep as the 1080 etch and I believe the 150mm/min 100% power two passes setting is about right. At those settings it took two minutes and sixteen seconds to etch the knife. I spend more than that lining up my stamp. It would go deeper at three or more passes but there is no need. I am extremely happy with the results. I just etched it, cleaned it with alcohol and took the picture.

Attachments

• 4A0E01B6-F7B2-4F28-B7E8-AD0EF2F95E80.jpeg
    4A0E01B6-F7B2-4F28-B7E8-AD0EF2F95E80.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Now for leather washers. I REALLY HATE wasting leather so I save my scraps. I drew out an oval on lightburn and copied it so I had three identical washers. Took a piece of scrap and lined it up then cut. Took about four minutes but I have three perfect washers. You could cut as many as you wish at a time but I am using scrap so I did three. Ignore the burn marks on the leather I did not feel like looking the settings up so I wagged it. A little too slow I think. When I use the suggested settings it cuts in one pass easily and this is 8/9 ounce leather.B5572301-3073-4533-AEB5-62B51BFFB9C3.jpeg456DB8BC-028F-4CD4-9602-04AE92ACD28A.jpeg10BFE66F-8C86-4C9A-A7D1-3EA8BBB20E63.jpeg1BC754D4-AE38-453E-A750-DAE8E77BD224.jpeg

I've just recently started working with lasers. I have an XTool D1 Pro diode laser and an OMG 60 watt fiber laser. The diode laser will not engrave steel. Using some marking sprays you can mark steel with a diode laser but it will not engrave it.

This was done with the Fiber laser.
View attachment 82624
View attachment 82625
View attachment 82626
View attachment 82627
View attachment 82628
View attachment 82629

With the fiber I can also engrave my Damascus blades.
View attachment 82630

Fiber will engrave Kydex also
View attachment 82631

This is my ultimate goal with the fiber laser but I'm a long way from being able to do this.
View attachment 82632

Looking forward to seeing your laser work. They open up a lot of new possibilities. I know you're excited.
@Randy Lucius how hard was it to line the design on the spine up? That is just killer!

Chris, this is a GREAT thread. Thank you for posting all the info. Randy's got the laser I've dreamed about, but fiber has been (and still is) more expensive than I'm willing to spend. The $500 to $700 for the Ortur Laser Master 3 is something I might spurge on.

Thank you to both of ya'll for posting the laser work.

Back