Ht'ing W-2 and Keeping the hamon off the EDGE!!!

Both sides look great to me Rex. They aren't mirror images but they are both nice in their own way. I'm sure you'll get the look you're going for after a few more blades.

Thanks Darrin,
I have learned so much from this knife it will be hard for me to let it go, it is my first successful Hamon on W-2, kind of a mile stone I'd say, I usually save my important (to me) blades like that, for gifts to those that have helped me, so I'm kinda undecided on this one right now. We'll have to wait until I get it handled, and some more testing done on it, so I can take away any doubts that it isn't dead on! Thanks Bud, I've got another monster blade on the bench now, in W-2 that I'm working on figuring out which way to take it, this one isn't as straight forward as most of mine, I usually start with something in mind or a sketch, this one was forged out kinda "will-nilly", I like to just forge a blade sometimes with no direction to see what happens, just start hammering, and shaping and go with what I see in my head, sometimes they turn out quite nice, sometimes they DO NOT! Thanks Buddy, Rex

Hitatsura is a type of Hamon where hardening spots are all over blade , The Japanese call it temper little bit all over ,

Look at this link and see if yours is a lot like this one ? go to link ,scroll to bottom go to far right , second from top.

I think it looks a lot like that one ?? I could be wrong . but, it looks good . Sori is curve of blade, Ishi are the little clay

lines that go from edge of hamon to edge of blade .

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/terms/terms.htm

Last edited:
Hitatsura is a type of Hamon where hardening spots are all over blade , The Japanese call it temper little bit all over ,

Look at this link and see if yours is a lot like this one ? go to link ,scroll to bottom go to far right , second from top.

I think it looks a lot like that one ?? I could be wrong . but, it looks good . Sori is curve of blade, Ishi are the little clay

lines that go from edge of hamon to edge of blade .

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/terms/terms.htm

I think Ishi is what I meant, although I spent 6 months in Japan, I didn't pick up much of the language.

I have seen knives where their clay was what looked like stripes all over the place actually down to and covering the edge, which to me is kinda scary, I think it's different with higher carbon content steel like we use, I do believe that was Tama Hagne.

Go ahead Bubba, get me all learned up on this stuff! I enjoyed the Japanese culture, and had a great time while I was over there, Okinawa has lost practically all of the culture they originally had, but mainland still had a lot of people that would follow the old ways. Beautiful country, and the food was awesome!!! Except the curry!!! Thanks for the info, Rex

BTW I went to the web site you mentioned, that one is about the closest one of the bunch, mine has the blotches in the softer top side, the swoops going down have the blotches in it, it looks great...on that side anyway! I'll try it again, we'll see what happens!

Last edited:
I think Ishi is what I meant, although I spent 6 months in Japan, I didn't pick up much of the language.

I have seen knives where their clay was what looked like stripes all over the place actually down to and covering the edge, which to me is kinda scary, I think it's different with higher carbon content steel like we use, I do believe that was Tama Hagne.

Go ahead Bubba, get me all learned up on this stuff! I enjoyed the Japanese culture, and had a great time while I was over there, Okinawa has lost practically all of the culture they originally had, but mainland still had a lot of people that would follow the old ways. Beautiful country, and the food was awesome!!! Except the curry!!! Thanks for the info, Rex

I spent some time in Okinawa , have you noticed they have some real pretty girls , on that Island ....:drool:

Bubba,
I was there in 86'-87', most of the women I saw on the island were from the Philippians, they worked the bars around Camp Hanson, I was stationed at
Camp Schawb, the North end of the Island...
where they tried to hide us Marines...:shush:

The island was fun, until it got cold, there was a small island out behind our barracks, that we swam too, did some exploring like we were kids! We actually found some bunkers and saw <from a distance> some UN-exploded bombs, all of it was
from WWII. The swimming was awesome, the sea snakes WERE NOT! I did have a great time there, Rex

Good story , When I was there in the sixties , most of the gals were half G.I. and Japanese . some were knockouts .

Funny how things change ......

Good story , When I was there in the sixties , most of the gals were half G.I. and Japanese . some were knockouts .

Funny how things change ......

Dang Bubba!
I had no idea Okinawa was there that long ago! ......dramatic pause.....and... rim shot-cymbal.
Ok, yeah I was being funny, you'd been blown away by the changes in such a short time, the locals stayed to themselves for the most part, of course the shop owners were real nice and when we went further North to the jungle, for jungle training. That was my first time in the jungle and man that was an experience, I'd never seen bugs that big any where. Funny thing, the local ladies would meet us there to trade our MRE's for Yakisoba and a coke! Which was hot and tasty, why they wanted the MRE's is beyond me, but they were really nice.

SO what part of Japan were you at and what took you all the way over there, if you say Kadena, I'll know why. I did get to go to the main land for about 3 months,had some training at Mt Fuji, the spent about 2 months at Yakuska, it was a GREAT place to be 21 and single!

Oh yeah, the G.I./Japanese knockouts ARE smokin' hotties, they're called Amerasian now and sadly were just about if not totally disowned by there families then. Much more accepted these days but there is still discrimination against
them. I think it'd be pretty cool if we chewed some of the same dirt, just in different decades.

You weren't headed to Vietnam then were you? Keep in mind I have no idea how old you are, in case I'm thinking wrong, it is so nice to be able to chat with someone about Japan that has actually seen it. Appreciate the chance to
revisit some old memories you jogged loose, memories are a problem for me, and when I get one that comes creeping out from where ever it is, I try to hold on to it as long as I can, Thanks Bubba, Rex

Hey Rex , Yes I was headed to Vietnam , I did 4 tours . I spent a lot of time in Yokosuka its a big steel port . I lived in Japan for 11 years and studied swordsmithing with my sensei Kayoko Kuroiwa . He passed away about ten years ago but, his family owns a shop In L.A. ( Hida tool ) they make custom chizels from tamahagane. I am an old fart I will be 65 in April.
I loved Japan the people, were so gracious and kind . Thats were I got the name Bubba-san . My friends and family always called me Bubba. My friends in japan started calling me "Bubba-san " after I forged a big Tanto . I have made a few trips back since the military to visit and learn. I visited the shrine at yakota -cho Yasukuni Shrine (靖国神社 or 靖國神社, Yasukuni Jinja?) is a Shinto shrine. It was a great experience for me . You know talking about Japan brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for jogging it . I plan to make one more trip to Japan before I get too old to appreciate ... Bubba

Hey Rex , Yes I was headed to Vietnam , I did 4 tours . I spent a lot of time in Yokosuka its a big steel port . I lived in Japan for 11 years and studied swordsmithing with my sensei Kayoko Kuroiwa . He passed away about ten years ago but, his family owns a shop In L.A. ( Hida tool ) they make custom chizels from tamahagane. I am an old fart I will be 65 in April.
I loved Japan the people, were so gracious and kind . Thats were I got the name Bubba-san . My friends and family always called me Bubba. My friends in japan started calling me "Bubba-san " after I forged a big Tanto . I have made a few trips back since the military to visit and learn. I visited the shrine at yakota -cho Yasukuni Shrine (靖国神社 or 靖國神社, Yasukuni Jinja?) is a Shinto shrine. It was a great experience for me . You know talking about Japan brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for jogging it . I plan to make one more trip to Japan before I get too old to appreciate ... Bubba

Bubba-San,
First of all I want to say, THANK YOU! 4 tours is a lot of sacrifice to make for your country, I'm not as old of a fart as you are, ya know they say your as old as you feel, I know that can't be true, because I've never heard of any one living to
175! I know our guys that were fortunate enough to come home weren't treated like the hero's they should have been treated like, so I make it a point to tell every Vietnam VET I see THANK YOU, I can remember my Dad (Korean War Vet) cussing up storm watching the way returning vets were treated by college kids, the things they did to our guys that had just endured pure hell, was criminal. I can't keep thinking about the acts of those morons, it really PI$$ES me off. I know it may be long over due, I know it's very simple words, I know it's too little for what you went through, but again I say, THANK YOU!!!!!! Do know that there are a lot of people that do appreciate you and everyone else that went over there and did what they were trained to do.

It amazes me when someone wants to know why the guys called to war just don't go if they don't agree with it. In college I explained to a classroom full of kids, they were 18 I was 28, I had been out of the Corps for about 5 years and still wasn't de-programmed, that the vast majority of the men & women that went over there didn't join the military, they were drafted, amazingly they didn't know what that was! I explained that we were trained, practically brainwashed to take orders, when we were told to do something we did it, we didn't say why, we jumped and got busy right then, I explained to them a lot of the details that were told to me by several of my Platoon leaders just what y'all had to do and how ridiculous some of the orders were. I told them that if they ever saw any Vet, that they should walk up to them and tell them THANK YOU! Because it was them and men just like them that sacrificed everything to keep this country safe and free. So to you and all my Brothers out there, I'll say it again THANK YOU ALL and SEMPER FI! Rex

Thanks you sir , certainly appreciate the kind words . I just hope after all the years in Iraq, that they just dont abandon the Iraqis . Thats what happened in Nam , we didnt lose anything . We perservered in every major confict there, never lost a Major battle , the politicians gave up . They didnt even have to fight ?? I am afraid thats what will happen in Iraq !! I hope not . Not after all the precious blood that has been shed . Same thing in afghanistan ??? seems like history is going to repeat itself . Man I hope I am wrong ?????????? It sure smells the same.. Bubba

Bubba,
I do hate to get into politics in my happy place (here on KD!) BUT I will because it blows me away how inept our leaders have proven to be! I've got "insider" info on the Bin Laden deal, that totally sounded like the conspiracy theory whacko's when the next thing I know all of those involved on Seal Team 6 got killed shortly after I got the info I read. It totally sounds reasonable, if you want to know I'll tell you about it off list, here aint the place for it.

Yo-bama has already announce he is pulling the troops out by the end of the year leaving the normal 100 to 150 (probably Marines heh!) for the Embassy staff, Afghanistan as well. My feelings on this, is that I don't believe Americans should be dying for another country's freedom, our forefathers fought and died for our freedom as well as thousands of Americans since then. Assisting them to bring down a "potentially" dangerous (to us) dictator is one thing, but staying and fighting to keep them from the Civil war that will happen as soon as the dominate force leaves. Anyway enough of that, lets get back to my happy place, or dare I say OUR happy place! Besides I've got something to show you, it's on the NEXT post! Check it out!!! Yeah, I'm excited!!!! And maybe a little proud of myself!!! Rex

Old knife....re-made new.

Confusing as that sounds, I'll clear it up. Here is the very first W-2 blade that I forged from some 1/2" W-2 I got from Aldo at Batson's in 2010, I forged this Blade shortly after I got this steel, not knowing everything that I should have researched before I dove off into it. Anyway, the knife is really nice, it turned out very thin, and I thought it would be like a scalpel, well the HT was dead WRONG, I didn't get a hamon, which didn't upset me....maybe a little disappointed, but the knife turned out so well I was
pleased right until I started sharpening it, I figured it would POP hair off my arm, shave slivers from newspaper. My first test was on my arm, it maybe got 1 hair, I think it pulled it out. Tried to cut some card board and it tore it. It was then I realized that the HT was done wrong by someone I won't name...since y'all know mine! :biggrin:
Some of you all may have seen it, I've posted it before, judge for yourself. I made this knife to fit in the side pocket of my carpenter jeans, as an EDC, I have decided to name it "The Pup", after, The Pup, Tyler, my son. Don't know why, it was more fitting before it would hold an edge!!! Here it is before the re-HT.View attachment 26909

So now that I know how to HT W-2, I decided to re-do this knife, I hated grinding off the Cocobola scales, but it had to be done and now happiness abounds in the McClellan Made Blades shop, Once I started the hand sanding, it was evident that this hamon was going to be INCREDIBLE!!!! I'll stop gushing now..just in case y'all see something that may not be right, so you all are the judge. Don't be shy, go ahead and tell me what you think. But try to be sweet, Please!

One more thing, I've decided to start making this knife and keeping some in stock, since everyone that has held it has loved it, Murph, I do believe I showed this one to you when you were here, John Sanford I do believe really liked it, I can't remember everyone that has loved the feel of this knife, it is easier to remember those that didn't like it, NONE! The new ones will be close versions of this one, as close as I can get forging, I have a few sticks of Aldo's 1/2" round bar still, we'll see if I need to buy more. I'm not sure how to price these, I guarantee they'll be very affordable, mainly because I want to get my name and my work out and in the hands of the folks that will be using them. So they won't be so expensive that you won't want to use it. Just a little heads up for the future.

I didn't have time to put the handle on so it's not finished but I couldn't WAIT to show you all this Hamon, I want to hear from Aldo and Bubba San! And of course everyone else, I'm so stoked about this knife, I guess you can tell.

I can't finishing this without telling everyone that helped me with getting this steel figured out, THANK YOU ALL for EVERYTHING. I seriously couldn't have done it without all of your help!!! Knife Dogs is my HAPPY PLACE, the greatest collection of the most wonderful people, knife makers and want to be knifemakers, like me!!!!

One more thing, in between working on this knife, it really didn't take very long, I was working on a new super secret project.....:shush:,
I'll give y'all a hint, it starts with D and ends with amascus!!!!!! The first weld was 12 layers total of 1084 and 15n20. This 1st billet will most likely be ladder pattern and I may split it so I can do another pattern I want to try. It is incredibly exciting and I can't wait to get back to the shop. So with out further yapping,
I now present you with:
The Pup​
100_2960.jpg
100_2961.jpg
100_2958.jpg

Looking forward to hearing what you all think about the hamon and the knife overall, it's now 2:21 and I have to get up at 5:30, so I'm going to crash, I'm so excited I don't think I'll be able to sleep! I'll have Hamon lines dancing in my head, with my mind racing to come up with what I'll do NEXT!!!
Y'all have a good night, Rex​

Attachments

• 100_2959.jpg
    100_2959.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That Hamon is killer, striking, I love it . You really hit it !!!! Most of my better work is on smaller blades , them big ones are a tad bit harder. Please send me what info you have on ST-6 . I have been out of the loop since 1994 when I retired from Navy. Send to berryman@socket.net .Or I can call you . I personally think about 50 megatons would settle our terrorism problems .no mess no fuss and no dead GI's
Bubba

Back