Grinding position

I need more light like she has and my bucket needs to be raised. I've tilted my platen the other way, but never tried this and I've never sat down. I don't think I could grind in a sitting position...who knows, maybe I should try it?

I think it would be worth a try. I've tried grinding from my shop stool a couple of times with mixed success. If I can get my grinder to tilt that way I may try it.

I’m thinking it’s more of a finess position to grind the taper. Sitting like that and having the grinder tilted might lend itself to having more room to grind the raise. JMHO
I may try and see how it goes.

It looks like she does most of her grinding after heat treat. I watched quite a few videos of her grinding. She does nice work.
She does. I saw a YT video interview. She was a fiddleback apprentice for a while. Any of you guys know how they get tha ‘spalted’ look on the blade flats. It’s obvious on the hammered pattern but the spalted look I can’t figure out.

When I dislocated my spine a few years ago I had to change to grinding in the seated position. I did not tilt my platen like that but had an adjustable stool to sit at the best height. Although it felt weird because I grind old school, standing with my elbows tucked in and arms stiff, it worked fine for normal knives. It was a bit awkward for long knives because I could not move side to side like I was standing.

Last edited:
This is the finish I referenced anyone have a clue how they do this.
View attachment 83783
I don't know, but I remembered this thread where he used a hammer with a cut up face, might be something similar?

I'm pretty sure it's an etched finish. I believe steel wool is involved. I think it's similar to the ferric/bleach combo I do on my axes, but I have yet to try it on a blade.

Most of the apprentices from Fiddleback Forge have done it. All those Georgia makers have nice clean grinds. They're the ones that influenced me early on in my knife making journey. Check out Osprey Knife and Tool, Fleming Knives, and WA Surls Knives. All worked with Andy Roy at Fiddleback at some point.

Back