Grinding jigs

Fat penguin is someone that breaks the ice! LOL
THAT is funny right there. I am stealing that.

I have thought about trying a jig a few times, normally when I am aggravated with one of my freehand grinds. I have never pulled the trigger on one because I am not sure it will mesh with my grinding method. I will be following this to see what Opaul thinks a few knives down the road. As far as the whole jig debate goes, I agree. When I started, the "old timers" frowned on jigs much the way old revolver shooters frowned on semi-autos when they first started to become popular. Not a lot of people left now carrying a revolver as a primary weapon...I see jigs going the same route.

THAT is funny right there. I am stealing that.

I have thought about trying a jig a few times, normally when I am aggravated with one of my freehand grinds. I have never pulled the trigger on one because I am not sure it will mesh with my grinding method. I will be following this to see what Opaul thinks a few knives down the road. As far as the whole jig debate goes, I agree. When I started, the "old timers" frowned on jigs much the way old revolver shooters frowned on semi-autos when they first started to become popular. Not a lot of people left now carrying a revolver as a primary weapon...I see jigs going the same route.

Funny you mention the Revolver/Semi-Auto thing. I was one of those old diehard revolver guys! Now I have a safe full of semi-autos and only one snub nose revolver and it was a gift from my dad!

Funny you mention the Revolver/Semi-Auto thing. I was one of those old diehard revolver guys! Now I have a safe full of semi-autos and only one snub nose revolver and it was a gift from my dad!
Funny I have 5 revolvers and one semi pistol. What ever blows your hair back! LOL I still have not tried my jig like Opaul has. But I will soon and will post results. Cool thing is I have a student that wants to learn to make knives and coming by weekly for lessons. We will see how it goes.

I bought a jig from DDworkrest (Instagram) when I started to make folders. I was unable hold the blade to grind freehand well. While I still grind freehand on some, I find I use the jig more because grinding with it is faster, cleaner and more repeatable.

I bought a jig from DDworkrest (Instagram) when I started to make folders. I was unable hold the blade to grind freehand well. While I still grind freehand on some, I find I use the jig more because grinding with it is faster, cleaner and more repeatable.
Also I’ve noticed that once you start with the jig and establish the grind it’s easy to switch to free hand.

Back