Grinding jigs

opaul

So I have been free hand grinding for 7 years. Last week I ordered a jig just because. I tried it out yesterday on a smaller blade. I think I like it!
With that said I still think learning freehand is a prerequisite. Makes a great combo skill. Anyone else use a jig?

I've been making knives for 13 years now, Used to be a silver and gold smith making Native Amrican jewelry. I only do stockremoval, no forging and I have used a grinding jig the entire time. I'm pretty good with my hands and it didn't take me very long to figure that a jig would always produce more consistent results than freehand. I hand sand every knife and I come off the jig from a 3M™ Trizact™ CF Cloth Belt 347FC 600 grit belt and can start sanding at 400 grit and finish with 600 grit for a satin finish. I am curious which sanding jig you bought and where you sorced it. I have used several different jigs and find pro and cons with all of them. Always looking to up my game. Thanks,

Wallace

Opaul, as Wallace asked, what jig did you get?

Wallace, which are your favorite jigs?

I've used a few different jigs. The Moen jig is one I like (made one of his old style jigs and it works pretty good). I REALLY admire folks who freehand grind - that's a real talent.

This is the one I got. I had $’s on my Amazon from shopping at Whole Foods so I paid ~$40. I thought it would be a good entry point and not much cash out lay. I’ve only done this blade but I’m looking forward to using it again.
IMG_5398.jpegIMG_5385.jpeg

I use a jig, mainly for speed and accuracy. There are times I have to do a little freehanding to get something to look a certain way. If you have to grind a batch of knives it's definitely easier.

To be honest- when I first started grinding I didn’t think I would ever improve but after many knives it becomes second nature. At one point i think there was a negative vibe about using a grinding jig. I don’t think that’s the case now. It seems lots of makers are using jigs.

I also learned to grind freehand and did that for a few years.
But since I like to make a batch of the same design at the time, I decided to try out a jig.
I made a couple jigs that seemed clunky to use, and finally decided to get the one made by Contender.

This one is convenient to use because of the magnetic attachment of the blade to the jig.
The Moen jig looks amazing, but the Contender is about half the price.

I bought one exactly like yours. However I've not even used it yet but hope to soon. My question is how do you flip sides and keep symmetrical using the adjustable sliding bolts. I've been watching a you tuber Gentry Custom and he uses a similar jig. I couldn't find the exact video ( there are 3 different videos) but it seems like he ended up preferring to use just the bolts in a level horizontal pattern and vise griping the blade in place to switch sides. In one video it states he likes going through all the grits before flipping. I use a lot of AEB-L after HT and would think that would cause warping. IDK

Hey Coop. This is my first time using the jig soo!
I used vise grips. I indexed two marks on the spine of the blade and then corresponding marks on the jig. Something that will clean up with alcohol or just use tape. I eyeballed the angle after switching sides. I need to use an index pin for that next time. I’m extremely pleased so far. I used 80/120 and then used 220 and a gator belt free hand to dial it in.

I started out freehand and never got very good at it. I always use a jig now. I do freehand the finish grits but Always leave a carbide file guide on so I don't mess up the plunge line.

I have tried at least 4 different jigs of varying price ranges and even though the Moen is very expensive nothing comes close to it! I actually bought two of them so I have a backup and I bought 3 extra blade holders so I can work on multiple blades.

Untitled.jpg

I've looked at that CDH. That definately looks like the perfect jig! But as a hobbyist knife maker as I look around my shop and see the thousands of dollars of equipment I remind myself how it all started. I picked up a custom knife and thought no way I'd spend $350 on a knife when I can make one for $3500.

I've looked at that CDH. That definitely looks like the perfect jig! But as a hobbyist knife maker as I look around my shop and see the thousands of dollars of equipment I remind myself how it all started. I picked up a custom knife and thought no way I'd spend $350 on a knife when I can make one for $3500.

I am also a hobbyist maker. I have sold a dozen or so, but I also give a lot away to family and friends.

It started as "all I need is a nice grinder". Then a heat treat oven, then an expensive bandsaw, next a drill press...and on and on...

I know I have $20K in tools for sure. I'll never sell enough knives to even start to get my money back. Not to mention I still want a mill!

It's all about the enjoyment and satisfaction of making something for me...

I like that! What size contender did you get?
I got the larger one, the MC152 size, I think.
When grinding larger blades I am using the whole width of the jig.
The older jigs I used required small vise grip clamps and I found them too "fiddly".
The magnet works really well, but looking at the Moen and hearing what Chris has to say makes me think I might go down that road.

I am also a hobbyist maker. I have sold a dozen or so, but I also give a lot away to family and friends.

It started as "all I need is a nice grinder". Then a heat treat oven, then an expensive bandsaw, next a drill press...and on and on...

I know I have $20K in tools for sure. I'll never sell enough knives to even start to get my money back. Not to mention I still want a mill!

It's all about the enjoyment and satisfaction of making something for me...
Yep.

Did I mention I bought a new RH hardness tester. LOL No way I can justify what I"ve spent. But I will say my knife building has paid ten fold. My twin daughters went through college. A mutual friend introduced them to a "financial" college advisor. She helped them SO MUCH! I made her probably some of my saddest knives in my early stages. Let's just say it paid off ten fold. God bless her with those pitiful knives. I have since made better knives to replace those POS! Became good friends and she came to their college graduation parties. Lets just say those knives were PRICELESS.

Then there was this farmer in Ohio that I finally got permission to hunt. I made him a paring knife with a corn cob handle. Long story short I paid ZERO lease fees and slept in his deceased mothers bed in the farm house all FREE. Oh yea as a electrician I did a ton of free electrical work for him but the fat penguin was the knife. Fat penguin is someone that breaks the ice! LOL

So maybe just maybe me making "knives" has paid off. Just not in the way of seeing a check book balance increase.

Last edited:
Did I mention I bought a new RH hardness tester. LOL No way I can justify what I"ve spent. But I will say my knife building has paid ten fold. My twin daughters went through college. A mutual friend introduced them to a "financial" college advisor. She helped them SO MUCH! I made her probably some of my saddest knives in my early stages. Let's just say it paid off ten fold. God bless her with those pitiful knives. I have since made better knives to replace those POS! Became good friends and she came to their college graduation parties. Lets just say those knives were PRICELESS.

Then there was this farmer in Ohio that I finally got permission to hunt. I made him a paring knife with a corn cob handle. Long story short I paid ZERO lease fees and slept in his deceased mothers bed in the farm house all FREE. Oh yea as a electrician I did a ton of free electrical work for him but the fat penguin was the knife. Fat penguin is someone that breaks the ice! LOL

So maybe just maybe me making "knives" has paid off. Just not in the way of seeing a check book balance increase.

Making knives has paid off for me in sheer satisfaction of creating a piece of usable art from scratch!

I've always had a creative urge but never found the right medium until I discovered steel and knife making!

When i was learning not too long ago (been making for about 9 years), a jig was considered "cheating" by many custom makers that i knew, so I was taught to freehand grind (no tool rest, just using my hands). That being said, i bought a Moen jig a year or 2 ago to see if i could keep my fingers from being skinned because I'm always nicking them on the grinder when doing bevels. i thought it was a well thought out design and worked great for some people, but i didn't like not having the control and "feel" that i was used to with freehand, so i still just bleed on every knife i make!haha

Back