First knife ever.........WIP

Lookin good Ernie.
I made my first few using hand tools. I dont miss it!:D:p

You probably know this but the quality of files makes a huge difference. I started out using Task Force files and soon realized they were junk after buying a Nicholson File.

Keep us updated.

Looking good! and I'm still Digging that pink lunch box of yours! Just remember only manly men can carry a pink lunch box lol. Just kiddin with ya keep up the good work.

Lookin good Ernie.
I made my first few using hand tools. I dont miss it!:D:p

You probably know this but the quality of files makes a huge difference. I started out using Task Force files and soon realized they were junk after buying a Nicholson File.

Keep us updated.

I started out with Nicholson Files, Being a fabricator I have used files from a few other companies and will not go without Nicholson files!!

Looking good! and I'm still Digging that pink lunch box of yours! Just remember only manly men can carry a pink lunch box lol. Just kiddin with ya keep up the good work.

LOL.............

excellent thread... 5 stars...

Thanks, that means alot

Thanks for all the praises from everyone so far, your encoragment is really helping me along, It means a lot to me to hear that other knife makers like my first knife as it is being built!!!!cool 1

Well, I sanded all the black off the knife yesterday and got a good 400 grit finish on the blade. Looking at it in better light I notices a few fishhooks in the finish and there is a line from where my sanding stick stops. I am going to sand more today and try going to 600 grit to see if I like that finish.

I do not like strait plunge lines!! there is like a 32nd that I cannot get:mad:

I also need to get the tang rough for the epoxy to have something to hold!!

I am going to my buddies house Saturday to drill out my pin holes in the scales, so..............

I might have the scales glued and clamped tomorrow night!!!

Ernie,
You need to try Mobil 1 Motor oil when sanding it really helps with the fishhooks.
Can't wait to see it finished.

I got them out, I used baby oil for sanding works really good.
I now have the blade all taped up!!

Tomorrow I drill out the pin holes in the scales.

I went and drilled the scales on a friends drill press, But....... I somehow screwed up and drilled them wrong, there was a hole off on one side.

I Have some bubinga scales I am hand drilling now and I might have them glued on tonight!!
I will have pics as soon as the clamps are on!!!

I have the epoxy on and clamped, Now just to wait until it sets up!!!

004-6.jpg

Ernie,

Looking good, man!

Now that the handles are pinned, clamped, and gluing up, you've reached what one of my college prof's referred to as a "learning opportunity."

In this case, the lesson is that it's much easier to finish the front of your knife scales before you attach them to the knife. That area at the front of the handle is a tight spot to work and avoid scratching up the surface of your blade. Take your time, and you'll be okay on this one. But, you'll save yourself a lot of time and headaches in the future if you finish them out before attaching them.

Nathan

Ernie,

Looking good, man!

Now that the handles are pinned, clamped, and gluing up, you've reached what one of my college prof's referred to as a "learning opportunity."

In this case, the lesson is that it's much easier to finish the front of your knife scales before you attach them to the knife. That area at the front of the handle is a tight spot to work and avoid scratching up the surface of your blade. Take your time, and you'll be okay on this one. But, you'll save yourself a lot of time and headaches in the future if you finish them out before attaching them.

Nathan

Yep, I read enough on the forums, I did finish the front of the scales !!!

Lookin great bud, and remember, at this point its not perfection but satisfaction you seek. That first knife will have you examining, re-thinking, redesigning etc.
But the pride of accomplishment is worth more than youll recieve in money by a ton.
Congrats on the leap. Always Forward.

Well I got all the extra wood and epoxy taken down along the spine with a 4 in hand!! that was a lot of fun!!!:eek:

I cut the pins off with a hacksaw blade equipped with black tape so I didn't saw my fingers too!!;)

I am in the process of thinning and shaping the scales.

Here is a close up of my tools and knife, and one of my little work area(built in desk in my bedroom)!! :eek:
To cold to work out on the deck!!;)

003-7.jpg

011-2.jpg

Ernie, I know people with thousands of dollars of equipment that can't do as good of a job as you are. Keep it up. Great stuff! cool 1

Back