Fantastic new Low Cost Ceramic Belt from Norton.

rhinoknives

Hey KnifeDog's and Doggette's

I just received some sample belts of a new one from Norton.

The Ceramic Alumina Plus Y-wt in 2 x 72" Scott at www.tru-grit.com/ just ent these to me and my initial findings after grinding three Blades are EXCELLENT.

They out cut the Deerfos and are at a lower price too!

36G- $4.85
50 G -$3.85
60 Grit- $3.55
and the 120 Grit is quoted at $2.95 but Scott doesn't have them yet.

I used a 36G the the 60 Grit to rough grind three of my Rhino Chops which have about 1/2 a Acre of surface at 6" X 3 3/4" x 1/8"..

These are what I've been looking for to replace the Blaze. NO Black Crud Here!
They have plenty of life after the 3 knives and the best comparison is that the cut about like the Norton Hogger Red Ceramic R61Y. Maybe a tad less in longevity. At half the price.

At this price, These belts are the best deal out there as of now that I know of?
also these grind the steel evenly. The Norzon blue belts tear off the steel and they were harder to get a smooth even grind, for Me.

I will be using them more later today to get a batch of blades ready for heat treat.

I am a happy grinding fool again!:big grin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I ground out 6 blades total with the two belts. 36G & 60G They have a bit more life, I will work them again tomorrow. At this price they are a real winner. If this was all they did they are a great value.
I should add that these aren't on the Tru-grit site yet. And BossDog, If you haven't tested these yet?
They are really worth a look for a item to stock.

I will talk with Scott tomorrow to get a ETA on the 120Grit belts in this series. There may be more grits
available?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Nice! Does he have them in stock or just have a few "TEST" belts? If he has them I may give him a call it sound promising!

Thanks for the heads up Laurence! :)

Randy,
I am not sure?
Scott was telling me about a new fast track program Norton has that will get these to him next day shipping, So call him.
He ether has them, Or can can have them to you within a regular order's time.

These probably work even better on Carbon steels? I have just ground out S35Vn & 440C Stainless Blades so far.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I can't get the tru-grit site to open. It keeps going to some retro racing site that says it's moving. I want to buy some of those new belts.

Randy,
I am not sure?
Scott was telling me about a new fast track program Norton has that will get these to him next day shipping, So call him.
He ether has them, Or can can have them to you within a regular order's time.

These probably work even better on Carbon steels? I have just ground out S35Vn & 440C Stainless Blades so far.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Sounds like these are going to be a great. Thanks for the 411. I just ordered a few to test and will let ya all know how they cut Carbon steel, hardened and un hardened.

I am fast coming up on the need for a belt order so this could be really good news. I am anxious to see what Randy thinks when he tries to eat damascus with them.

Kevin

Scott at www.trugrit.com said that the 120 grit belts in this series are a couple of weeks out.
I put myself down for a order of 10 of them when they arrive. I will be about done with the Deerfos 120's I purchased by the time they arrive.

The 120's are only $2.95 each. At that price if I only get 3 knives outta one? it will be a savings.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I was having a problem opening it off the first link on your post. All the other links work fine. Thanks for the info.

Good day Knife Dog's!!!

I received 2 of each grit, (besides the 120)
It just so happened that I was grinding Hardened stainless. I threw a 60g belt on and started cutting. I will tell you this. They cut like I have come to expect from a good Ceramic Belt. The initial cut is Fast and cool, smooth.. and continued to cut well for a long time.

I have to say. Laurance is right that on hardened stainless these seem every bit as good as a Hogger belt. and better then a few others I have tested recently that were at least 2X the price.

We use 36 G belts on the surface grinder/belt grinder for cleaning up forged damascus billets, and tested the belt on there. In my shop, a 36g belt can last as long as 3 days, or not even 1 full day. Depending on what were grinding and the belts. Jr. has a good feel for how the machine runs and when a belt is cutting clean etc.. He said these cut as good as or better then any hes tested or used so far, with the exception of Cubitron 2 belts.. there so far the best of the best for the surface grinder. But at over twice the price.. And with a improvement of only 10 to 15%.. So its a no brainer!

In closing, I will say this..
One of the most importiant pieces of advise about grinding/sanding that I have received is this. Use the belts like they are free.. Its very true, not only for steel grinding, But for handle materials as well. and will make your life much easier. and your knife making time more enjoyable and with better end results.
I think these new belts will make it easier for most to follow this advise. Im not a production knife shop and I select my belts first by how well they cut, how long they cut, how cool they cut, and price falls somewhere about 4th or 5th on my list of importance.. But based on my initial test results, I will be ordering these belts and many, many of them B4 they raise the price.. lol

Keep the spark flyin!
Randy

Randy,
Glad you received your order and are as happy as I am with these new Ceramic belts.
I spoke with Scott @ www.Tru-grit.com about another matter and he said that he has the 120 grit belts of the same new series in stock now!

He sent out my order of 10 of those 120G today so I will give a follow up on them as soon as I have done some grinding.

Also the 36G & 60G work equally well for me on Hted Stainless.
I ground out 3 Blades of HTed CPM-S35VN today and got a great crisp smooth grind.

Randy, Let me know when you get a chance to grind some Carbon Steel with these?
I'm interested in your results.

Cheers Everyone!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Well I used the 120 Grit Today of these New Norton Ceramic Alumina Plus Y-wt in 2 x 72"

Man! These cut Sharp & Cool is was my initial reaction as I was doing clean up grinding on some HTed 6" & 8" Chef knives of Cpm-S35VN.

They cut BETTER than the Norton red Hogger 120's grit. and I used one belt on 3 of em today and it looks like there are another 3 or more left to go!
Very Happy!
At $2.95 a belt these 120 grit belts are less than many A/O & S/C belts.

It's rare these days to find a product that is better for less money! Rob in Canada and Boss Dog!
I suggest that you both take a look at this line for a stocking item.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com.

I wonder if Tru-Grit will be at the Blade Show?

Tom, I am not sure if Tru-grit will attend blade but if Randy, From Hardcore products/ Grinders is there you want to check out his new Maxamiser 90/45 tilt Grinding Machine.
State of the art in a precision smooth knife grinder machine. About $3400.00 bucks Tru-grit sells them for Randy.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back