Ever hit a roadblock that you just can't seen to get past?- or how to make a folder!

I just read the entire thread. He is very meticulous and does a great job. The etching looks like it works perfectly.

When I start mine I will probably not do a WIP because life gets in the way and everyone would get bored. I may do it anyway and just not post it until the knife is complete, not sure but I forget to take photos as I go. Plus I know I will make every mistake possible I guarantee it.

I suggest you approach the liner lock without making the resess. You need space to clear the detent bearing. Usually a washer .010 to .120 is used on each side of the blade and the detent in the locking leaf is a 3/32 stainless bearing but other meathods are being used. I also suggest that the pivot be 1/8 unless you are going for something for hard use that is also big.
Bob, I'm one of those that benifited from your etcher and probably a few other ideas you put up. I have soime precision ground .050 spring stainless I will mail out to you as a gift to make your folder with, if you like . It's a bit difficult to drill but much easier to work than titanium. Let me know your address at niro@telus.net Frank

Frank that is a very generous offer and I appreciate it.

When using washers, what washer material is preferred?

Bob, I have not read all the threads from the begining, so you may have had alot of your questions already answered. When I started making folders I did some knife kits. After making a few kits I found some junk 303 stn stl and started making knives so I didn't worry about ruining anything worthwhile. I built my 1st junk knife, not so good so I made another, then bought inexpensive materials for my first real knife. I did get some tutoring from R.B. Johnson which was great.
As far as tutorials go, the best that I have read is written by Terry Knipshield http://forum.ramanon.com/showthread.php?t=62665. It is a complete tutorial with many pictures. Dan

Bob, I have not read all the threads from the begining, so you may have had alot of your questions already answered. When I started making folders I did some knife kits. After making a few kits I found some junk 303 stn stl and started making knives so I didn't worry about ruining anything worthwhile. I built my 1st junk knife, not so good so I made another, then bought inexpensive materials for my first real knife. I did get some tutoring from R.B. Johnson which was great.
As far as tutorials go, the best that I have read is written by Terry Knipshield http://forum.ramanon.com/showthread.php?t=62665. It is a complete tutorial with many pictures. Dan

Awesome tutorial, is there any chance we could get Terry to join the DAWG Pound??? His work looks amazing! And he has great teaching skills, he would be a huge asset to Knife Dogs, I think, Rex

Hi Bob.
It's a great idea to have a maker show you how he does it in person. Best wishes that it will soon happen. Frank

Back