Ernie's First Passaround

If ya don't wanna know, don't ask :biggrin:

Bruce, you can send me anything you want. I'll be gentle, I promise. :3:

Last edited:
James I like your honesty, most the time these master smiths and master makers are way to nice . I like it when Im told hard facts with out being mean to the person . Ernie wont learn much if you guys are to nice about minor things that he will work on doing to make better next time . Great stuff everyone I know Ernie will learn lots from this . Kellyw

Hey Ernie , I was looking for the specs on this blade , materials and such , but couldn't seem to find the info .
Also , what is the category ,(camp,survival,skinner,edc,collectible,?), you are marketing this blade to ?​
Since everyone has chopped timber with it , where do you see this knife doing most of its tasks ? If we all chop wood with it , but you see it primarily as a skinner ; well , I'd like to test it that way . Survival Zombie Slasher - well, I don't know where to get a substitute for zombie flesh , but I'll figure something out .​
Bill​

good 1 bill after reading going to ask the same thing and james if i ever need someone to test a knife i am sending it to you hope i can do half as much service to ern great write up call blade mag for job openings lol

Bill, here are the specs:

OAL - 8 1/2'', 1/4'' thick 1095
Blade - 4 3/4''
Handle - 4 3/4''
Finish - 400 grit hand rubbed
Handle is black and green G10 from the Boss, 220 finish rubbed with wd-40.
It has two hidden n/s pins and a ss thong tube

As far as category, well........Any and all, LOL :) really though I was thinking something along the line of do-all, utility, or multi-use.
With the blade design I was going for is a knife that is designed for multi uses, Tanto/spear point for stabbing, scraping, and small slices. the recurve for slicing, light chopping, cutting, swinging cuts, and skinning.

I know the blade is too thick and it will be thinner on the next one. I really do not see someone spending a lot of time chopping logs with it but I felt the design would come in handy in a camp where one might have to chop twigs, cut steaks, cut rope and other tasks.
I would like to see more testing done in the kitchen, jobsite, and/or zombie infested area. :)

I got it in today.:biggrin: First thing I checked out was how sharp it was and it passed with flying colors. Fit & finish is good.:35: My on personally taste is for the sheath to ride lower on the belt. With my long arms it makes it difficult to get the knife out of the sheath. I'll be working in the garden for the next few days and it will get a workout.:les:

Geo, just dont use it to spread your heat treat relish, the blade will warp. hehe
I got it in today.:biggrin: First thing I checked out was how sharp it was and it passed with flying colors. Fit & finish is good.:35: My on personally taste is for the sheath to ride lower on the belt. With my long arms it makes it difficult to get the knife out of the sheath. I'll be working in the garden for the next few days and it will get a workout.:les:

Oh, great..........Now its a couple points lower on the RC scale :)

Dude, I wouldn't worry about the RC, because the 2" of the blade that is left is really hard.:lol:
I used the knife all day yesterday.:biggrin: Works really well in the hand.:s11798:
If I was going to take it out hunting I would take the lanyard off. The skull on it hits the sheath and makes a small amount of noise.:les:

Hows the knife IG?
It's on it's way to Bill. The knife I would give it a 9 out of 10. I would round off some of the edges. It handled all the needs I had working in the garden.:biggrin:
Now the sheath 7 out of 10. Pleasing to the eye, but it rode to high on the belt. Making it difficult for me to get it out in a timely manner.:les:

It's on it's way to Bill. The knife I would give it a 9 out of 10. I would round off some of the edges. It handled all the needs I had working in the garden.:biggrin:
Now the sheath 7 out of 10. Pleasing to the eye, but it rode to high on the belt. Making it difficult for me to get it out in a timely manner.:les:

10-4 Thanks Buddy!!!!! :)

I got the knife yesterday and took it with me today so I could play with it on my lunch . I didn't do any cutting , just looking for now .
I reread all the feed back on this knife , and I have to agree with most of what I've read .​
Most of the issues any have had with the knife can be put down to Rookie Maker mistakes .

Visually overall , I think it'll make a decent 1st Official Model . Any design that makes people stop and look , is good . It's got a certain eye appeal . You'll have to learn to make a sheath like Steve though , as it really makes the package complete .

Technically , it needs some help .​
Now I know you had said you wanted it to be a Do-all , Utility , Multi-use ; and that I think is the problem .​
You can use your Chopper to do some cutting , but you can't(shouldn't) use your Cutter to do chopping .​

For a small knife , it has the weight to do the Chopping , but most of it is in the handle . If you could shift it a bit forward it'll chop even better .​
But I think for it's size , it should be reworked for Med. Utility category .​
Since you said you were going to make future models a bit thinner at the edge , that would take it out of the chopping category itself .​

I measured the thickness just before the edge bevel with my calipers and that will explain the reason others have had such a hard time cutting with it .​
Most of the recurve , from choil to the belly is .070 . The belly is at .060 . While the tip .040 . Very thick - Most new makers do this till they make a knife for themselves .
To compound it , the edge bevel for most of the blade is set at 30+ degrees . Not good for cutting . The 2 factors combine to make this a mini axe shaped like a knife .​
I try to have my bevels no thicker than .030 before an edge is put on . Most are actually thinner . That may differ , depending on style and size , knife to knife and also maker to maker .​

What I would like to do is this : since we can't bring the bevels down , but we can change the edge ; I'd like to put it on my Lansky and try to put a sharper angle to the edge .​
I'd like to CUT with it and do some LIGHT chopping as well .​
I used it in one of Les's Pass-arounds and it helped quite a bit I thought .​
Let me know what you think .​
Bill

Thanks Bill!!!! That helps a lot!!

Go ahead and put it on your lansky, I tried but mine must be off cause I thought I was getting a better angle than that.

Don't forget the Pics :)

I have it , tomorrow is the big test day . I have some of the worlds thickest cardboard and toughest banding straps to test it on . Put a 25 degree angle on it , I think it might handle 20 degrees . Who did the HT and what is the Rockwell ?

Back