Elmax Super Steel from Uddeholm - How are we going to distribute 40 bars to test?

For sure I would want to send this out for heat treat. And,if this is going to be a folder for money making I certainly would dress it up with some bolsters and some file work. Frank

For sure I would want to send this out for heat treat. And,if this is going to be a folder for money making I certainly would dress it up with some bolsters and some file work. Frank

Frank, I'd be glad to trade you a bar of this for a folder made with Elmax to raffle off for prize money..

OK, here is how we are going to distribute the first 10 bars.
The deal is you have to make a user knife, take some pics either during the build or testing or both and report back here on how steel worked for you.

Free give away will start Monday night, I'll start a thread then and send out a newsletter email from KnifeDogs.

Well, BOSS DOG.
This is great!!! It will give me a chance to pay back a little to our Forum and perhaps help someone else as well. I think I will look for some nice handle material and some Damascus for the bolsters. I might as well try as always to make something to suit the particular matter at hand. Let me know when and where to send my address. I might just want to order a few items from your makers supply store as well and save you any postage charge. I want to cover my share. Super !!! I'm already hot to trot on this one !!!
Bt the way how did you know my shop house cleaning was going to end today? Frank

I could do one in 1/8'' in my utility/hunter model, That way with the thinner steel it should test the durability a little better.

Also I like the idea of a video showing testing, that should get some exposure.

I am so in on the build. Heck I already have some plans!!

I am not a competition cutter myself but I am collecting materials to build a course for personal use.
I could do a video of me doing the course with a knife made from the steel. That would show its strength and
edge holding ability very good. If I do get any I am going to have Peter's Heat treat do their thing with it!!

Sounds to me like you might have a great test in the making here Boss. I'd offer to participate but I haven't ever worked with the tougher to work steels because I'm now sure how hard they would be to machine so I'm really looking forward to hearing about how this steel works and performs.

Carey

Hey Boss, I already have two designs ready for this. One will be a fixed blade, and I think I know someone else who could do the same design as a folder.

I'm very interested. The composition of the steel looks great. I've been experimenting with the Carpenter steels they sent and am so far impressed with it but still not sure if it's going to be available to us makers in quantity's we need.

If they are willing to work with Tracy as a distributor I'm all for giving them a try.

Not only am I interested in testing for durability I'd like to see how it finishes. That basically means making a show knife and be willing to put it to work.

Edit, deer season is coming up if we can get it in time to get the knives in the woods:biggrin:

Since the heat treat is such a delicate process , perhaps we can shoot for all knives being finished at or near the same time .
By doing that , maybe we could get them all heat treated by the same treater (Peters perhaps) for one low cost , taking that guess work out of the equation .​
I know if 10 of us made the exact same knife , even out of the same steel they would all perform differently due to our own personal preferences of bevel angles , hollow vs flat grinding and edge geometry , to name a few .​
Part of any game is paying to play ... I'll pay my share of the HT bill if I get in and we go this route ..​

Well, I'm wondering about the "delicate" heat treating thing. I use KnifeMaker.ca for heat treating any stainless blades I make. Rob does a super job of getting results that are recommended for the particular steel being used. Would you like me to go to him again or do you have someone picked out ? If the heat treating is going to be a problem to get good results, the steel will end up not being used. If we all go our own way , up to a point , wouldn't it be a better test?
I've got several patterns picked out and ready to start on !!!! Frank

I'm not that worried about the heat treating myself. It's fairly straight forward. We just want to be aware that the concern is there and they (Uddeholm) have had some bad experiences in the past that they are still a little sensitive about. We should be OK.

I had sort of thought that the idea for the testing was to see how it performs in the market as a whole, including independently done HT. If the steel is billed from that start as one that can't be heat treated properly by makers who already have a HT setup for air hardening steels then it will only appeal to a limited segment of an already limited market. If this is truly the place of this particular steel in the market then so be it, but I had thought the testing/evaluation with the 40 bars would precisely to gain a feel for this. Sending these pieces only to commercial heat treaters seems to negate the reason for the test, IMO, but I could be reading this wrong.

Our posts may have crossed in the mail Justin.
The heat treat for this Elmax is not going to be any more difficult than any of the CPM stuff.

Our posts may have crossed in the mail Justin.
The heat treat for this Elmax is not going to be any more difficult than any of the CPM stuff.
Think we were off by a few seconds. At any rate I think this steel deserves a fair shake before gaining any stigma about HT procedures.

Back