Elmax Build n Test n Show Thread

Thank you Greg, THAT'S what I've been eagerly waiting for!
Your son in law is gonna be a very happy camper I'll wager...
(oh,and if you ever have an opening for another son in law,I'd like to apply for the position :biggrin:)

did a HT test on the scraps of Elmax. you can harden it to 63 RC with a torch draw at 400 degrees for 2 hours and it will bend to 45 degrees before snapping. going to try and get a temper line in my build.

did a HT test on the scraps of Elmax. you can harden it to 63 RC with a torch draw at 400 degrees for 2 hours and it will bend to 45 degrees before snapping. going to try and get a temper line in my build.

that will be interesting to see Kim. Take pictures if you can.

Just letting you know I am still working on this, Have not really had much time though.

I will get it done soon.

We knew going into it that it would a long time before we saw some showing up. no worries.

Finished knife

Had to dig this one up from way back.

I finished this just in time to give it to my son inlaw for Christmas.

Hope you dogs like it.

knives 1216.jpgknives 1217.jpgknives 1218.jpgknives 1220.jpg

Greg

oh man...
that makes me think of a Gent's Vest Bowie with a slight Persian influence...
and the tapered tang is a nice touch.
Beautiful knife!!!

Thank you Ironwolf and Pieter For your kind words, they are more appreciated much more than you know.

Greg

Boss, Sorry it has taken me so long. I never realized that driving semi again would effect my knife making in a bad way.

As far as an update I am sending the blade to get heat treated on Monday. I will do a write up soon. I promise :)

Heres a little teaser..............
This knife will have some firsts for me. Bolsters, machine finish, and full flat grind.

Here is an update on the Elmax. Well first off I ended up getting some more Elmax besides the sample the Boss sent me. Here is a picture of the five Elmax blades I sent off to heat treat at Paul Bos and just recently got back. I have been holding off on getting this started because I have been trying to coordinate with several schedules.

attachment.php

The tanto and the one on the left are both hollow ground the other three are flat ground.

Below are the blades we will be testing.

attachment.php

The test blades from Left to Right are my original S30V test knife, a new D2 blade, cork(very dull) and Elmax test blade these three are my blade all with hollow grinds and I will be putting handles on these and have them ready for a day of testing in mid April. The blade on the right belongs to a mentor of mine, someone most of you should be familiar with. I ground this to his template and he will finish this and also be testing several blades against the Elmax along with myself and one other maker. Hope that is enough of a preview keep me out of the Dog House. :biggrin:

Any guess' on who the mystery blade belongs too?

Cordially,
Eric

Another teaser of my Elmax knife, Its not finished yet.........But almost :) I have to resand the handle and bolsters and rebuff.
I still plan on doing a little tread about using this steel. Again sorry its taken me so long, I know you wanted this done sooner.
This Is also my first time putting bolsters on, I peened them.... :) I am proud of myself :)

Thanks again for the N/S James!!
2011-04-02_17-43-50_899.jpg

2011-04-02_17-44-03_3.jpg

Back