Design Phase of Hometown Hero Build

Denny
I like it alot. I wonder about the grind, how about a compound grind. Instead of a scandi have a flat grind that turns convex on the tanto? That would make sure there is plenty of meat in the tip for punching through things.

BTW I may be able to get over your way in a couple of weeks. Ill give you a call soon and we can work it out.

Last edited:
I like your thinking, Sean. Makes great sense to me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I figured I will throw one of my designs into the hat... Straight forward knife with measureless that meet all the requirements for the build. 4" blade 8 3/4 OAL. Can be cut from a 1 1/2 inch sized billet of steel.

Attachments

• KnifeDogs Military Build knife.jpg
    KnifeDogs Military Build knife.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 43
This "Combat Shellcracker" can be scaled in size up or down to fit any need.
Personally, I like Dennys design a little better as the top edge doesn't have to be sharpened to work properly.
JMHO

Steve

bk2%20003.jpg

Great designs- I think could take best components from each. I like Dennys tanto design, but I like the less promenent finger groove in the HHH handle design because if holding knife reverse this finger groove point would not dig into hand. The reverse hold of handle also makes a case for some kind of less promenant double hilt like the LaGrange design, so little finger won't slide down when stabbing in reverse hold...my 2c.

Last edited:
We're just waiting on a few more promised designs .. Yes Jerry , I got yours , and will scan it as soon as my photo/internet guru (wife) can get to it .
If ANYONE has a design they would like to submit - please do !:thumbup1:​
If you don't know how , or can't post it , let me know .​
Thanks , Bill​

Here is the design I came up with by combining (swiping) ideas from the designs posted as I previously mentioned. Sorry for paper cutout as I don't do autocad on my knives yet but would like to. The blade is basically Denny's design - The hilt design was limited by the 1.5" width restriction which actually is probably a good thing as there is less hilt sticking out to catch on stuff but I wanted to add more extension to top per LaGrange thinking. Handle has two finger notches forward and back more like Randy's design. I moved the top thumb rest forward for more ergonomic design, which I struggled with as I agree like Denny says a soldier wants his knife to look tough too but in end function prevailed.
Design updated 9-28, length was 3/8" too long to meet 4" req. added more details as well.
Military5.jpg

Last edited:
Someone say tanto? this is one that I built this summer, and would like to put into consideration. I am open to tweaking the design a little here and there, but I like this design. :)

In the drawing, I noted 8-32 threaded holes, and no, my CF tanto does not have them. But I have done one almost just like this with a drop point and bolt on only scales. I REALLY like the bolt on option. I wonder if there a good solid SS bolt with a flat head slot, to allow for easy in-the-feild breakdowns in case it gets soaked or whatever...?

2011-09-27%u002525252016.24.25.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what I consider a combination of design atributes. This knife is just under 1.5 inches wide and 8.5 inches long. The blade is an even 4 inches.
0002a.jpg

Eric,
That last one looks great, maybe just a tiny bit narrow at the finger choil, could break or bend there with heavy prying.
A little wider there and I'd buy it.

JMHO
Steve

Steve, you are right. I wonder why I didnt see it? I guess I stared at it too long. I will amend tomorrow.
Thanks
Eric

Ausbrooks, I really like your design. I think the tanto blade offers added strength at the tip. As BruceM pointed out, the ability to cut and pry oneself out of a vehicle that hit an IED is very important. As far as the "subhilt" on my knife goes, all I can say is flip it into a reverse grip and your little finger automatically locks into place. As soon as I can find somebody with a camera I'll post my profiled design and then it's grind time.

well ill throw this one in im building for a ranger cant see but has a skull crusher on back, jimping on top and 4 1/4 blade and im in on the build just let me now how were doing it great designs guys

Attachments

• 100_2432.jpg
    100_2432.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_2430.jpg
    100_2430.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Denny- thanks- I took your input as the "customer's" input, you being a Marine. I understand your point on the subhilt... I didn't consider a "edge out flip", in which case the more defined forward groove would be a control feature.

Last edited:
Back